TRL 595-how good is it?

I am a digital junky, so I have been thru well over a dozen players in the past 12 months. My favorite is the APL 3910. I just bought the TRL Sony 595 from the Tsunami auction, and will receive next week. Any one here have experience with this machine? I TT Paul from TRL and he said he is still shaking his head from disbelief on how good this puppy sounds. I am impatient, so would love some feedback. I also love the fact it is a 5 disc changer. Could it be a world beater? I have TT a person who sold his Cary 303/200 after burning this puppy in.

Ehquiring minds want to know

Thanks
711smilin
Eric, that would be great, I need to send the Modwright back to Dan for some issues I am having, so, no need to comment as of yet. My APL is with Alex, getting his latest updates. Call me and we will arrange a get together. I look forward to seeing you.
711smilin,

Sorry, my mitake. Looking at it again it's the 3910 transport that is $3500. However, I'd be interested in this as my TRL mod is the Alesis ML9600 which I use as a transport. Do you know anything about the 3910 transport?

As for the APL 563 let me pose the question again: If the APL 563 represents 100% of the distance what would you say the TRL 595 represents?

Thanks for the clarifucation and opinions.
Clio09-the APL 3910 is a stand alone player, redbook/sacd/dvd-a with built in remote digital volume control. I have compared this unit the the most expensive available, and prefer this to any I have heard, so far. I know of noone using this machine as a transport, but know of dozens, who have sold their seperates in favor of this one box wonder.

Hope this helps
711smilin,

This from the APL site:

Denon 3910/EMM Labs Digital Transport now available (includes Denon 3910, price $3500).

This is what I am interested in. Do you know about this unit?
Clio09, email Alex, I have no clue. I am sure it is like the sacd1000 Alex modded for the meitner, in the past. Personally, I would just stay with the 1 box solution. JMO
YMMV

Steve
711smilin,

Thanks for the response. I won't go wiith a one box as I'm really happy with the sound of my non-oversampling DAC. I will send Alex a note on this though as it looks like a nice rig.
Any owners of TRL 563 interested in being part of an at-home audition cycle for the APL 595 demo unit that Alex is getting ready, should contact APL's Alex peychev ASAP directly by private eMail at:
mailto:"Alex Peychev"
In general, we should probably avoid posting notes on personal business transactions on these thread pages.
Besides being . . . well, 'personal', they quickly also become a bit difficult to track for your correspondent. . . and Yes, I know, no need to remind me. . . I too am a sinner, my friend TVAD! [chuckles!]
Hi Guidocorona,

I think you meant to say if any TRL Sony 595 owners who are interested in comparing the APL Pioneer 563 in their home should contact APL Hi-Fi directly to be put on the list to audition the APL unit. Just wanted to clarify.
Alex: Please include me on your list for the rolling APL unit. I have a SA-14 which will be modified by TRL next week and considering the amount of inquiries for your offer, mine should be fully broken in when yours arrives. Like Tmoore above, I'd be interested in your best available player. Thanks for the offer. My e-mail address is [email protected]
Right on Gamo, Thanks for the correction. I should never post when I am bone tired, 'cause I make mistakes.
Guidocorona: So do you have the APL unit now? Where are you on the list?

Thank you in advance :)

Jack
Jack, I have the APL's, Modwright, AND TRL if yawanna check em out. BTW, TRL decided not to keep their word and sell me the GT-200. Have you heard their new amps yet?

Steve
No Steve, as I understand, the owner of the GT-200's that you'd inquired about underwent a surgery and changed his diet, which restored his hearing. This said, he took delivery of the GT-200's. As Joe Friday used to say, "Just the facts, Mam". I know this because I was going to buy that pair of GT-200's if you failed to come up with the money. Please don't shoot the messenger. :)

Yes, I have heard the ST-225 Transistor Research Labs integrated. Nice sounding amp. So good I've sold my Tube Research amps. :)
Jack, I am very happy the man who lost his hearing miraculously recovered, I found it a bit hard to fathom, but hey, could happen. I do not understand why would you have bought the amps, if ahem, I could not come up with the money? I thought you already owned the gt-200's and 100's at your cabin. OK, I know your a happy TRL guy, and I gotta tell you, I really tried. I had those playing in my head, I bought the cary cad m211 anniversary's for a month, just tuning myself up for those tubes. I sold them the week before Paul told me I would take delivery. I also had on order a pair of Pauls magico type speakers which he kept putting me off on. In the meantime, I feel just a bit burned. Yes, Paul is certainly available to talk too, write emails, ect, ect, but a 550 mod is not the same as buying amps, and speakers IMHO. The mods are SIMPLE compared to amps, and speakers.

Am I wrong?

Since you are so close to Paul, and were right there with the bigger bucks to buy my amps, what do you suggest I do next? I still NEED the right amps, suggestions please.

Steve
Steve: I was going to tri-amp my speakers and was awaiting the construction of a pair of TRL SET 75's for the high frequencies. If you didn't already know, there is a waiting list for Tube Research Labs amps and pre-amps. At that time, I would still be waiting for the SET 75's. If I bought that particular pair of GT-200's, I would have used the GT-100's for the high frequencies and the other two pairs of GT-200's for the mid and bass amps. Make sense? At the time, I was disappointed that I was number 2 (the back up guy) in line for that particular set of GT-200's because they were being offered at a deal. I sincerely hoped that you couldn't come up with the money. I was on top of this more than you were and even tried to sway Paul into selling to me, rather than you, but he wouldn't hear of it.

I'm sure that Paul could share the original purchaser's contact info, so that you could confirm that what I have said is true.

You were looking at a Tube Research Labs ST-100 Stereo tube amp too, as witnessed in the link below. Please note that I am not responsible for Brian Walsh's comments in that thread.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1109612795&read&keyw&zztrl

It appears that there were other options at that time, like the ST-100 that you asked about, which was for sale at Audiogon at the time.

I can not tell you what to do or which amplifier to buy, Steve. System integration is everything and it appears that you are the lone Wolf that does not like the TRL sonic signature. This said, perhaps it is a blessing that you did not take possession of that particular pair of GT-200's. As Brian Walsh stated, "Everything matters".

Maybe Alex has an amplifier in mind that mates well with his APL sonic signature? You two seem petty tight and you love Alex's house sound. Maybe you should integrate in that direction?

Best wishes,
Jack Seaton
Jack,

You are a funny sort of fellow, who seems to think that somehow, you know what I like and dislike. Please stop assuming, cause you know what you are when you assume. I have never said I did not like th TRL 595 sound, in fact, I said it was very good, very musical, a touch rolled off, and a bit soft on the bass. BUT, I said for the money, it is a STEAL. Now, I also said, in comparison with the APL 3910, Exemplar 3910, and or Modwright 3910, the TRL loses out in every catagory, just as it should, given the very large price variance.

I had Alex mod a Pioneer 563A for me as a spare player, I put the 2 head to head, and the 563A just drew me in better, with better air around the notes, tighter bass, and a bit more extended. It also plays DVD's/DVD-A's but, it is only a single disc. It is the same price point as the 595 and sounds better to me, and my friends, in my home, with my equipment, and my ears.

I was in fact really EXITED about getting the TRL GT-200's to the point of giddiness. I was also exited about the speakers Paul told me was making for me. I was taken back when I was told after patiently waiting for 3 months or more I could NOT buy them.

You are a funny sort of guy, hoping me ill will, and stating you wished I could not afford them, so you could buy them. Another interesting fact, you just wrote that you would have bought those amps to tri-amp you speakers, and you also just got done staing, previously, in this thread that you are gonna get TRL's new SS amps, cause they were better than the tubes. You are a close friend of Pauls, and IMHO, you trust what he says, he told me he was discontinueing tubes, in favor of his SS amps. Paul said they were BETTER in EVERY way than his tubes, so I was fortunate not to buy his tubes. When he told me that, I felt I was being given a line of BS, BUT, at the same time I swallowed my ill feelings, and told him, I wanted to give his new amp a try. I do not know the TRL house sound, but I am Man enough to listen to a guy like Paul, and respect his opinion. Even in a bad state of mind. What I do NOT understand, is if you were told the same about his new amps, why the hell would you not listen, and still desire his DISCONTINUED tube amps. I dunno, I just do not get it.I feel large contradictions in your statements.

Maybe I am just reading into your words something that is not there, if so I apologize. I am still on a mission, and it is still fun, I hope yours is too.

BW

Steve
Steve(711smilin)-

I would suggest that you take up any concerns or misunderstandings with Paul Weitzel directly like an adult. Making the kind of one sided allegations you are implying about his business dealings with you in a public forum is another bizarre chapter in your behavior on these forums.

Paul and the TRL staff are the definition of integrity in this field and have decades of an impeccable earned reputation among customers, reviewers, and colleagues in the industry.

While you have a right to your opinion about your likes and dislikes in audio-you have no license to imply that TRL lied, or mislead you.
Post removed 
Tvad-

As is usual, we have similar views of this entire discussion forum medium which typically offers useful info and ideas, and opinions.
As I have stated many many times, opinions are welcome.
As you well know, I don't make any proclamtions about any gear being the best as that is an inherently absurd path IMHO.
Yes, I do often talk positively about many manufacturers I have dealt with - Ven Haus Audio, DH Labs, KAB USA, Audio Concepts, Inc., RS Audio cables, Hagerman, and TRL. If this is useful to some great; if not disregard it.

The opinions of Steve on what he likes and why are welcome.

Misrepresenting a manufacturer as basically lying or misleading is not welcome-at least to me.
LKdog, what the hell are you saying? What reviews have you found on TRL, in the professional press. I have spent many hours scouring, searching the internet for professional reviews on TRL amps, pre-amps, ect. The only reviews I can find are on the trl sony's. I am only reporting MY personnal experience with doing business with TRL. I am happy to tell all, to those who want REAL feedback. I have been on an audio journey, which has put me in contact with many, many manufacturers, both big, and small. I share this info. on this forum to tell the TRUTH.

Not BS. This is MO of my experience with the subject, and thus, very well expected in this thread. Just cause you love your TRL unit, I am happy for you. Truely. But, you have neither the $$$, or desire to REALLY buy, try, evaluate, in the same way as myself. Maybe you should come on over and have a listen for yourself, than YOU would truely see how much better the APL, Exemplar, and Modwright units blow away the TRL 595. You should really get experience before you judge without actual knowledge. There is NO WAY IN HELL your opinion on this means anything, uless you have listened for yourself, or been involved with TRL on MY level, not yours.

Have fun in your journey, cause I am having fun in mine.

By the way, I tried to let this thread die, but you guys keep coming, and I just as Jack says"Just the Facts MAM"

BW
Steve
In fairness Steve, I was the one who re-awoke the thread on 06/07 with a pointer to the recent TRL/APL shootout. See:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1108159717&openfrom&122&4#122
The thread had been dorment before that for about 1 month. On the other hand, the current exchange, if a little passionate, is quite informative.
Guidocorona, I looked inside the TRL 595, after receiving my APL 563A and it being better in every way than the TRL(I had a fight with Alex over this) I was getting caught up in the TRL hype myself, Alex told me I was crazy, I told him, as I always do, that I will put my money where my mouth is, and ordered the 563A mod to compare. Boy oh boy, was I surprised. Then I opened the TRL and was amazed by what I saw,it appeared TRL only replaced the EIC, disconected the power supply, added 2 cheap caps, and put epoxy on the circuit boards for rf/jitter gain. I could find no real upgrades. Especially compared to what Alex, or John Tucker, or Dan Wright, Ric Shultz, Underwood wally, and a host of other modders do. The other modders seem to really MOD a machine, not paste FAIRY dust on it.

Since I am NO expert I just sent it off to Alex to see if there are any other mods.

I really want to BELIEVE in TRL, But, In searching for all Pauls accolades, unfortunately I have only found info on these silly mods to these players. I was gonna spend over 12k WITH PAUL.

More will be revieled as I do some additional investigation. In the meantime, MHO is that the 563 is leaps and bounds better than the TRL's.

Best

Steve
Very interesting indeed 711. Burying part of the circuitry in epoxy has been used before, at least since the mid '80s. E.g. my Rowland 7M amps's trans-impedance modules are contained in solid blocks of epoxy. I thought that was done only to keep proprietary circuitry away from prying eyes. May there be some sonic benefit to the process?)
If the TRL 595 proved itself superior to other modded players I would likely suggest that "who cares about the color of the cat, provided it kills mice!"
But according at least to you and the admittedly unscientific analysis pointed out in my earlier link, the TRL 595 may be good for its price, while perhaps underperforming other similarly priced devices, such as the APL 563.
While it may be theoretically argued that yours is only a personal opinion, It is certainly a highly qualified one. Besides, isn't the entire business of the high end about opinions?
Keep us posted on your further findings. Thanks, Guido
711smilin,

I cannot proclaim to be an expert on the TRL Sony 595 because I do not own one. However, your claims that TRL uses fairy paste might be a bit exaggerated don't you think?
I had extensive conversations with Paul about the mods done to my Alesis ML9600. To the best of my knowledge clocking issues were resolved and as a result of the mod the component does not do a significant amount of error correction. While this has improved the Alesis, this also means it may have some problems reading scratched or old discs, although to date I have had no such issues. Doesn't sound like fairy paste to me.

I believe clocking improvement is a big part of what TRL does as part of any mod regardless of the unit. In my case they performed more work on the digital side than the analogue side due to the design of the unit. Hence it is best used as a transport, which is fine with me anyway. Granted I did not see any epoxy on my unit but there was chassis dampening done to it. I'm sure there were other things done that I couldn't tell, but I think some people have a problem with TRL due to the fact that they keep their mods proprietary (which I am told is the reason the epoxy is really there). Other modders list the services they provide and therefore people seem to be more comfortable with that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion as to which mod company is best for them. I chose to take the leap of faith with Paul and I don't regret it. At the same time I'm interested in what Alex is doing and look forward to hearing the results of his work.

Before I purchased the Alesis I looked seriously at the modded Jolida JD-100s. Underwood was one company I looked at. They have a stellar reputation for the Jolida mods, yet there is significant debate as to whether the mods are in the best interest of the original intent of the JD-100 design. Obviously Underwood lists their mods which include high quality capacitors, new clock, new power supply, and better wiring among others. There are a lot of pieces replaced and I can see the point of the anti-modders. In reality sometimes less is more.

There are obviously TRL fanatics out there and I can see why. Paul seems to know his business. He is involved in recording and engineering and even though he may not be in the spotlight, perhaps some people prefer it that way. To each their own. You are obviously a big fan of Alex's work and I don't hold that against you as you are someone with first hand experience with it. But in the end it's all opinion, nothing more nothing less. Each of us has one and we can use the information shared on this board and others to make our own decisions as to which products are best for us.

BTW - look for the 6moons review of the TRL modded Alesis.
"Since I am NO expert I just sent it off to Alex to see if there are any other mods"

Makes sense to me, Steve. If I didn't like my TRL 595, I'd send it off to their competitor, too, rather than just sell it. Do you realize just how unscrupulous this sounds? Have you sent your other modified players off to Alex too? Is this common practice for you and Alex, to view the competitors work, anaylize it and incorporate into yours? I'm trying to understand your motives ... it just doesn't make sense.

Next, you make derogatory statements about Lkdog, as if you are THE only person in the know. As Brian Walsh stated when you were inquiring about the TRL GT-200's, (Seen here[urlhttp://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1109612795&read&keyw&zztrl/url] "I would suggest bringing the rest of your system and room up toward that level before taking the plunge. Everything matters." Since he has been to your home and has heard your system with the Reimers, I'll take his word. And considering Brian's long term in the hobby and exposure to Hi-Fi and mid-fi, too :) ... I'm inclined to agree. This said, you should be the last man to cast the first stone. But, that isn't your way ... that isn't your mode of behavior. In my opinion, "There is NO WAY IN HELL your opinion on this means anything, uless you have listened for yourself, or been involved with TRL on MY level, not yours." How does that taste, Steve? I just questioned YOUR ability and YOUR system and YOUR room. In your words, "Have fun in your journey, cause I am having fun in mine". :)

To me, you are a man who has an axe to grind with TRL. You try to elude that it is because you were cheated on an amp, which couldn't be further from the TRUTH. I believe that it is for other gain, which is plain to see. Regarding the TRL GT-200's, sorry, Mike Joyce's hearing improved, which is great news because he is a professional in the music industry whose hearing is essential to his income. Paul did the right thing and honored Mike's deal, because (after all) Mike was the original purchaser of the amps and had already paid a substantial down payment.

Since I am well versed with TRL products, I have folks from all over the World that e-mail me and ask my opinion. This said, after I took possession of the SS amps, I could have managed selling them easily. And, (unlike yourself), I didn't have to sell my other gear to pay for the amps. I could have wired Paul's account that day, which is their standard practice. :)

About the reviews ... Did you happen to notice the GTRP-800 review at the TRL web site? I guess that one slid right past you ... It is authored in 1992 by Mr. Sugano, one of the most revered Japanese audio reviewers. There was another 2 reviews of the GTRP-800's in 1992, with front page photos in 2 issues of Audio Technique magazine, which many here are familiar with. There is a review of the GT-200's (which really should have been of interest to you) in 2000 by the Editor of The Inner Ear Report. Then, there was the 1992 front page article in the Wall Street Journal (perhaps you've heard of it?) where TRL is listed in the top 20 electronics exporters ($ wise) to the Orient. (BTW, you weren't even in the hobby then, were you?) There are others, Steve. You could try to contact Paul for the 6 or 7 others ... if he'd take your call. If I were him, I'd "Reserve the right to refuse service to anyone", but he's a better man than I.

Your agenda is well known, Steve. You are helping TRL more than you know ... :)

Good day!

Jack

Moderators: Thank you for allowing me to post MY side of the story. I will do my best to remain civil and respectful of others from here on out, as long as they do the same.

TRL Family: I apologize that I had to bring much of this information in a public forum, but fair is fair. Things got a little out of hand. Nothing that anyone else says will sway my first hand experience with my TRL modified products. As Audioezra has said, "... greatness is greatness". And,he should know, since he has one of the best reference systems in the World, if not the best. And, like me, over 30 years in the hobby. I hope to make it out to Chicago sometime, Ezra.

Lkdog: Hopefully you will still feel comfortable dropping in and sharing your opinion.

711smilin: I'm sorry that I had to be so blunt with you, but you have seriously flamed two people whom are my friends. Hopefully, we can keep it civil from here out. :)
On June 15th Joel Waterman posted a somewhat mixed review of the TRL 595 on AA. Please see:
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/210574.html
Post removed 
711 . Keep posting your findings . Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Mainly, because you have actually tried different machines head to head in your system. That info is highly valued and non discrimiating.
Until the TRL owners have compared the APL direct to the TRL in there system there claims of superiority are just words.
Keep up the good work Steve!
Thanks!
Guido-
The "review" by Joel was arranged by Alex.
Alex informed me he was doing so in an email on June 13th.
I am not sure how many times Alex plans on having his customers make public negative "reviews" of Steve Millin's TRL 595.
I really do not understand why APL has an obsession with TRL, and continues on this transparent campaign to try and discredit TRL.
No one is fooled by these tactics, but they certainly speak volumes about the participants and APL.

You guys need to move on.
It's humourous that a competitor has to stage a "Third party review" that "doesn't own TRL or APL" with a friend who visits his facility http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/210269.html and has one of his modified preamps.

(See Joel_Watermans Inmate system at http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/2076.html).

These guys are fooling nobody. They are persistent though ... :)

Jack
I can see the ethical difficulty you are having, LKDOG and Jack. If I can summarize your thinking:
The credibility of results favoring APL in Joel Waterman's analysis, is in your view inherently tainted by conflict of interest: prior association of the author with APL has been demonstrated, as well as the author's prior ownership of an APL-modified third party preamplifier. Furthermore, the analysis may not have been initiated by the reviewer, but performed upon APL's request
Let us now make a simple thought experiment: Let us pretend for a moment that Mr. Waterman has favored TRL instead of APL under identical circumstances.
Are you still deeming the results to be inherently tainted by conflict of interest, or are you now praising Joel's keen analitical mind and independent thinking?
In general, should we automatically discount positive findings of any review anytime prior association, prejudicial ownership, or manufacturer initiation is revealed or declared? Or should we cautiously judge a review mostly on its own merits?

Bottom line: isn't the human mind a tricky beast? (Chuckles!)
I suggest that you read my post at Audio Asylum's Hi-Rez forum http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/210789.html

To quote Lkdog ...

I really do not understand why APL has an obsession with TRL, and continues on this transparent campaign to try and discredit TRL.

No one is fooled by these tactics, but they certainly speak volumes about the participants and APL.

You guys really need to move on.

Best wishes,
Jack :)
Jes45,

Well said Jack. While I am sure APL turns out some fine products, a couple of which I was intent on hearing, this whole campaign of theirs has left a bad taste in my mouth. Regardless of how well engineered their products are, I would have a problem dealing with and giving my money to a vendor that acts in this manner. For TRL silence is truly golden as they will continue to receive my support.

Tony
Thanks jack for the suggestion. I did read your AA post, and now I am scratching my head. I can make the following observation:
A. From a purely ethical point of view, publicating a private communication, presumably received in confidence, is slightly weak.
B. Unless I am incorrect, you waited for the review results to register your discontent with the process. This opens the possibility that if the review had favored TRL instead, you may have chosen to accept it in spite of its foundational shortcomings, as hypothised by my little thought experiment above.
C. Your Faith (*) in TRL is admirable and clearly unwavering.
D. I own no TRL nor APL products, nor I have owned one in the past.

*. From American Heritage Dictionary: "2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. ")
By the way, I am delighted that interest in TRL is growing. That proofs that the Internet really works as a means of spreading information and fostering business.
Guido-

As intelligent as you clearly are (which we all appreciate as at least you are rationale); you have made a couple incorrect assumptions:

1) A complaint was filed with forum moderators before the "review". The entire issue is under review and monitoring by AA. No one wants this type of stuff to continue.
2) TRL and Paul Weitzel has been in business for decades. The mods are a small, but enjoyable and rewarding part of their business. I.E. They just shipped off a $140,000 amp to a customer. (That equals 254 of their mod jobs). So, "faith" from a Jack Seaton, although sincerely appreciated, matters little. The "reality" is these guys were doing quite well as a respected and successful audio mfr. before the internet, and are doing quite well with the internet as an additonal info resource available to the end user. They could frankly never do another mod and be just fine.

They are just doing their work and minding their own business. You never see Paul or Brian posting on these forums being critical of others. They have made no claims of ultimate superiority of their products. To paraphrase Paul's own words "If you like their product that is great as they are proud of their work; if you don't that is fine."

There is plenty of business out there, if earned the right way, for the APL's of the world and I am quite sure they do a fine mod and I have never said anything to the contrary.

Let's all just move on here and enjoy this hobby.
Thank you LKDOG. As I work for a large 80B-per-annum company founded in the late 19th century, which has done quite well before DARPANET, Internet, and all other nets, but then has seen it fit to harness the Internet to maximize its business, I meant my comment in a completely constructive way, without any negative connotation, nor implied derision of TRL, its products, its marketing strategy, its distribution, its services, and its customers. I regret my comment was so ill worded as to be misconstrued.

Of course, I am aware of TRL's production of impressive electronics having prices ranging all the way to the extravagant. Unfortunately I was not aware that I was in the process of discussing their entire production line in these posts. Sorry for my mistake.
Sadly, coming from the rather pragmatic training imparted to me by the kind Jesuit Fathers, more years ago than I care counting, I tend to extend my ability of having Faith, only to very few and rather narrow first principles, none regretably, currently included in any field of technology.
In the world of audio in particular, it has been my experience that past glory does not constitute a valid premise for eternal sound preeminance, through any and all products. To cite just two examples, Rowland and ARC are companies I dearly love, whose products even now I own with pride, that appear however to fall under this category.
Is TRL an exception to this admittedly sad apparent rule? If your faith tells you so, of course, do take due solace in your Truth.
As for myself, because of my admittedly limited world view, I will continue to stumble along, relying on the experiencial, and when my own experience is not feasible, on someone else's, including yours, LKDOG.
Guido-

Jesuits, huh?
And you survived, LOL!

I went to 12 years of Catholic schools myself and have worked the past 20 for the human service arm of the Catholic Church. I knew I liked your world view for some reason.
It' a Catholic thing-always hoping for that ultimate truth and symmetry yet always we know we will be searching for answers.

I apologize if I sounded defensive. My mistake.
As far as the TRL mod arm of their business-all I can say is that they are relentless in their passion for seeking great audio. I don't think they will get complacent.

They just came out with their first solid state integrated amp after decades of doing tube amps/preamps SOTA manufacturing (the ST-225).
The excitement that Paul and Brian have about it when they talk tells me they still have the fire.

When they talk about their digital mods-they are truly excited about making musical units, and the results in the Marantz units recently with their approach is really making them happy. Funny how this thread is on the Sony 595 which they do very few of now. It is a very very nice unit and wonderful value-but they will tell you themselves that there are other platforms they prefer at this point.It just happens to be the cheapest unit they do. (Actually, they do a Toshiba 3960 that is quite good also for even cheaper.)

So, I guess I also have "faith" if you will, that they are
still challenging themselves each day and love what they do.
But, it would come as no surprise to you what certain religious training and faith they have quite ingrained in them also:)
You from Catholic schools as well LKDOG? Isn't this a small world?
We should chat about our old school experiences sometimes offline! Unfortunately not much of it was of a musical nature: the only thing I recall was the music teacher was preaching to everyone that the NASA manned moon program was a fake and a CIA plot to thwart the social progress of the laboring Masses. That was 1969, of course! NO CDPs back then!
Well, at least we had a huge real pipe organ in our church that I got listen to every day in grade school.
The nuns could play.