TRL 595-how good is it?

I am a digital junky, so I have been thru well over a dozen players in the past 12 months. My favorite is the APL 3910. I just bought the TRL Sony 595 from the Tsunami auction, and will receive next week. Any one here have experience with this machine? I TT Paul from TRL and he said he is still shaking his head from disbelief on how good this puppy sounds. I am impatient, so would love some feedback. I also love the fact it is a 5 disc changer. Could it be a world beater? I have TT a person who sold his Cary 303/200 after burning this puppy in.

Ehquiring minds want to know

Thanks
711smilin

Showing 11 responses by jahaira

Does anyone knows what kind of mods are done to this units? I just send him an e-mail asking if he has worked with the 2000ES ( basically the same model with a few extras) but would like to know a bit more about the 595.
Thanks and enjoy your units.
Thanks Lokie, but it wasn't me who answered your question. It was Jes45 .... Anyway, the break-in time with this Sony models are long ( with my 2000ES took over 250 hours) but worth it.

Don't get caught in the upgrade game until you get used to your new system. Maybe your actual speakers found their perfect match.

The 2000ES is basically the same unit ( 595) with a few additions and the use of 2 transformers. The main board is the same but has 1 less cap ( replaced with the additional transformer...?...).

Paul responded me and told me that he also offer the same mods to the 2000ES at the same price and conditions. What he does to the units is, like LKDog said, propietary. The important thing is that the unit with mods are affordables and represents a great investement.
We are talking about changes and improvement but have not specified where they are...CD and/or SACD playback? The circuits on these babys needs extensive break-in on both formats. My unit was set 24/7 with 3 CD's and a SACD's inside. Since the unit determined what format was playing ( front light is on when it's a hi-rez multi-disc) he has several hours on each format. The Default set the 2-channel SACD on and no hybrid side was playing during break-in.

My 2000ES is very good on both formats and bass has improved over my previous system ( which was nothing fancy but included good pieces and was 6:1 in cost). Sony has done something really nice with this cheap units and TRL seems to add the remaining piece on the puzzle.
The work done to the TLR is "propietary" , meaning that it's a secret and the reviews from actual owners don't specify anything meaningful. The only one that told something is at the www.audioasylum.com reviews section. It includes an IEC, replaced some caps and eliminate some filtering settings. The transport is dampened too and it doesn't include any tubes. There is another thread very interesting ( which includes postings by LKdog and myself )and that explained a few things and future reviews from Positive Feedback and 6Moonaudio.

Paul seems to be a great person and a dedicated proffesional with lots of knowledge in digital designs. People who owned his equipments and modifications are very happy with his work. He has a site, www.tuberesearchlabs.com and it has usefull information.
Great!! Don't forget about us..... let us know how it doeas and compares to your other units.
Give it at least 2 weeks on 24/7 .... Yes, it takes that long of break-in period ( stock). I don't know how it change with mods...
Guys!!! Just a few points:

1- I used 3 CDs and 2 SACds in my Sony SCD-C2000ES while break-in the unit. I don't know any technical information on its design but what Alex said about the way the signal travels makes sence to me.

2- The SCD-C2000ES and 595 are basically the same units with a few differences. Both units are modified by TRL and the 2000ES is supposed to be a bit better.

3- The original message has turned into a dispute and we should stay on track. I don't doubt these units can benefit from any modder's work ( Alex, Dan Wright, Ric S, Paul or anyone else). Most units from many brands do, so we should stay with the TRL which is the one discussed.

4- Sarcasm are out of order. LKDog bring some good details and I appreciate the.

5- After 711Smiling is ready to report on the several units he had /will heard, we should stay calm and look for reports. His opinion will be usefull.

Thanks,
Why should anyone think LKDog is a modifier? I read the threads and I can't found anything that may implied it....

About this point...

"1) The TRL unit is going to your daughter and her friends to use for their listening and dancing; and for your "critical" listening you will use the APL."

When I listen to a system and I can tap my feet and dance to it, I enjoy it the most. May be my Latin blood but music should reach your soul and mind. Some time I just want to critically listen to it but when I want to be moved "on body and soul" I dance...

I agree with the poster identification. We should know who is posting and how it contribute to the thread.
Good enough...so...let have a few drinks and talk about audio now !!!! Cheers... :)
This harshness is normal for the 2000ES while breaking-in. You need to be patient and give it a good amount of time 24/7. It will pay the wait. BTW, I read about Modwrights mods to this unit and it seems that came out very nice too.
All in all, these units are good buys for anyone seeking for a good modifiable unit at a low cost/investment. It's trully amazing what we can buy this days!!!