Triangle Titus 202 Opinions?

I have recieved much help from many of you in previous threads. I have boiled my search down to the Triangle Titus speakers. But before I go out to buy a pair, I'd like to ask your opinions on these speakers.
denon53
Anyone notice that the new Titus ES slipped to class C in the Stereophile rec components list? Apparently Triangle could not follow the if it aint broke dont fix it mantality.

So the original Titus XS was bettered by the 202 and the successor to the 202, the Titus ES took a step backwards.

The only complaint that the blurb said was that the new ES could not be powered by the 3.5 wpc SET. Which to me means that they made some significant changes.

-rob

-rob
It it weren't for the wine he had over dinner with Arnaud (Triangle's owner), Tellig would have never made a big fuss about the Titus IMHO. They are the perfect example of incomplete speaker-design which shortcomings (and theere are many) give them an apparent imaging and transparency. In reality, they are only hifi in the 100-400 Hz range: below they are non-existent, above they are impossible to listen too...unless you mellow them out with some cheap tube amps, incomplete design as well.
We have all heard this 100 times about Tellig and Triangle and his apparent raving. How do you explain all of the other terrific reviews though? TNT for example... I would agree that they are not going to be everyones cup of tea but your view is a little extreme.

BTW, there are plenty of "cheap tube" amps that sound pretty darn good.

-rob
Boy, Beheme, you use a pretty broad brush here.

Tellig was tipsy and under the Gallic charm of the manufacturer, you say? The speakers are hi fidelity over part of their range, sort of like a rotten egg which has good bits in it? And what's wrong with a speaker sounding good with a cheap tube amp?

Nothing against telling it like it is, but could you be a bit more specific?

Robr45, you wrote:
the new Titus ES slipped to class C in the Stereophile rec components list

I have to agree that this only means the manufacturer made significant changes. Stereophile's ratings and rating system have to be taken with a good half shaker of salt. You find this out after you listen to the gear they review, as you have probably discovered. You may disagree with the early high rating as much as you disagree with the current 'C' rating. Remember the much-loved Meadowlark Shearwater Hot Rod only got a C rating from Chip Stern.

Also, the ES version of the Titus has become a fair bit more expensive. That brings it into a more demanding class.
I do take them with a grain of salt. Heck, something that sounds good in the bedroom can sound like hell in the living room so these are generalizations. One note that you brought up is that the Titus got more expensive, and it did. And while it may be put in a more competative class in the real world, the Stereophile ratings are not based on value,but just overall performance. So a class B speaker wether it be $500 or $5000 should be able to get the listener to the same level of performance if the rest of the chain is up to snuff. The Titus was not just a great $500 speaker, but a great $2000 speaker.

The fact Triangle hiked the price and lost some footing in the strereophile rankings (which is extremely coveted by all manufacturers listed)to me = dissapointment.

-rob