Tri-amping speakers - Which amps

I am seriously looking at running a tri-amped system with an active crossover and 6 channels of amplification (the speakers will not use passive crossovers). The speaker designer suggested 100-200 watts for the woofers.
With that in mind an obvious choice would be a 6 channel amp from someone like ATI or others. Another alternative would be to find 3 used stereo amps. Something like the B&K ST140 would seem like a readily available possibility, but that model is fairly old and repairs may be expensive. I guess I am 'testing the waters' with this setup and do not want to spend a fortune on amplification. I can always sell the active crossover and have the passive crossovers hooked up in the speakers, but a 6 channel amp would be hard to find other than new and I don't think the demand would be great to try and sell used. Any sugggestions/
cnut

Showing 3 responses by onplane3284

The more common solution is to bi-amp. Here you remove the passive xover for the woofer and use your active xover.

Then for the mids/tweeters you leave the xovers intact. This way you need only two amps and balancing becomes that much easier.

Power requirements are radically different for these amps. You are correct woofers suck up tons of watts, so you need a big amp there. For the mids/tweeters it's a totally different story. I'm using a low power chip amp with terrific success. Some people prefer tube amps with their "silky sound" powering the mid/tweeters.

Unless you are in a theater and need the efficency, you lose little with the xovers in the mid/tweeter.

Hope this helps ...

Regards,
Jerry
Cnut, the "flat" I was referring to is equal output from the speaker system over the entire frequency range with a given constant input.

Raw drivers will output more sound at some frequencies than at others. In many high quality speaker systems, the manufacturer has designed the passive networks to compensate for these non-linearities.

Now, there may be little of this in your speakers. Your internal networks may be nothing more than simple frequency separation and in that case, the active xover will give you far more control over the resulting sound and no degradation.

Cnut, you are correct that room dynamics can significantly impact frequency performance. Those controls for tweeters are there to compensate for rooms either full of sound absorbing materials or with many hard reflective surfaces. Active operation, however, will do a better job that those controls. You simply get much more control.

Since the manufacturer of your speakers suggests going active, that-s probably the way to go. My comments were really about folks who were contemplating going active on speaker systems where the manufacturer does NOT recommend active operation.

Lastly, I-d suggest the simple way to solve your problem is to purchase the two way monitors and then get a high quality powered sub. The high quality powered sub, by the way is active! Your active xover will supply the line level signal for the sub and then it will supply the line level for the mid-range and tweeters.

Cnut, if you go this way you only need a two way active xover and two stereo amps. Life just becomes so much easier/simplier.

Here is an example of a two way active xover:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=245-862

There are more expensive units to be sure, but many folks have reported successful results with these.

Hope this helps -

Jerry
Thus is the entire problem with tri-amping. How much $'s and complexity to achieve sound that often is far, far removed from the "flat" response that the manufacturer's seek.

B&W has the following on their website:

"The term crossover is a little misleading. A multi-way speaker contains a crossover network that not only divides the incoming signal into different frequency ranges, appropriate to the working range of each drive unit, but also equalises each driver's response to be flat (raw driver responses are usually anything but flat)."

They further have a very interesting article (it's short):

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/local.faq/ObjectID/F5CA2EE1-3D20-11D4-A67F00D0B7473B37

There is a fair amount of confusion about passive xovers. Most people think their only function is frequency separation. Not true. In many high quality units the manufacturers have "shaped" the frequencies sent to the drivers to correct for non-linear drivers and cabinets.

Further, this huge "power loss" is somewhat a myth as well. Xovers don't really dissipate power (other than the trival internal resistant of the components). What they do is "block" frequencies unwanted for a driver.

In any event, Cnut, one way to insure you maintain the voice of your speaker systems is to passive bi-amp. That is, leave the passive components alone and use two amps. Each amp ends up with a much easier task because the impedance for each amp is just much better behaved/simplier.

My "gut feel" is people, who claim a huge improvement in sound out of tweeters, are simply sending more power to those tweeters. Yes, the sound is brighter/clearer, but the same could be done with EQ's and even tone controls.

Regards,
Jerry