Transformer based passives vs passive stepladder

Although I have a very well reviewed preamplifiers, I have become intrigued with passive approach to gain control. What caught my attention the most is the uber expensive Audio Consulting Silver Rock transformer passives. But then, I also see other companies making passive stepladder or simple passive volume attenuation( anywhere from $199-1000.)

Some of the transformer based attenuators seem to be Audio Euphoria, as well as the DIY or completely built Tjango, and the now discontinued Bent Audio unit.

What gives? Is all that has been said true about transformer based attenuation? Has anyone heard the Silver Rock?

Paul K
bemopti123

Showing 1 response by bemopti123

So, Clio, you also find too much gain in some sources, such as CD using the Electra? I find that pseudo passives such as the active First Sound Paramount I use have the same issue. Usually is fine, with LP or Phono preamp through (low gain) but when it comes to CDP or other sources, sometimes it can get loud too fast. I wonder if this is the implementation of a preamp with OA2 tubes paired with 6922 or something else. The fact is that I have come to the realization that I have plenty of gain and that it can distort the original way things were recorded. I also have a pair of EVS nude Ultimate Attenuators and it does the job of attenuating the gain as transparently as possible, but how Atmasphere has already stated, sometimes, pursuying the last bit of purity sometimes has more drawbacks than benefits....

Nevertheless, I still dream of have one less stage, if possible in the signal chain.

Has anyone heard the SILVER ROCKS somewhere?

Paul K