Trained ears.

Simple question, which may have a non simple answer.
How does one train one's ear for evaluating Hi-Fi equipment?
The emphasis primarily on loudspeakers but other Items along the chain to the wall socket can be (and should be) Included.
I am a qualified Pianoforte Technician so I can tune a piano, but I can't tuna fish.....
I've never thought of myself as having 'golden ears' to evaluate equipment.
Thoughts/Tips/Views please.

RIP- Jacques Loussier...
128x128gawdbless

Showing 4 responses by tomic601

The n80 spin test as it shall now be known !!!!
freaking love it...

going to try it sober
first....
But yes, hopefully the listening is immersive and deeply and emotionally joyful....

there is a music section of the board here, what’s on your turntable tonight is my favorite...thread but there are others for CD, streaming, even live music. not so much gear and technical talk....late nite crazy marathon listening is the norm.....
Anybody posting on this board is off the deep end....

but it if I am hunting or fishing, I prefer Landjagers, make them myself....

Well, because you mentioned him Jacques Loussier - Plays Bach on Telac is well recorded and can serve as a suitable reference...but references where you missed the original event ( or events w multi-track ) can be dangerous....

the points others have made about training, being trained and having an approach to learning are quite valid.

i refer to maximizing a system for a few references as flavor changing or tail chasing... I realized I was doing this... and I set off on a journey to better understand the chain., where things went wrong and finally trying to get back to the original event - that is for me the goal, elusive as that might be....in making your own references   this is of course not trivial ... you can as some suggest go get high speed tape and or high quality digital. The zoom 6 digital recorder might be of interest to you in recording piano as a reference... I use on all the time as an adjunct to a much more complex mobile rack...

have fun and yes RIP Jacques... a consummate artist..