Trade in value to a dealer

I have some items I would like to liquidate and reinvest the proceeds into upgraded equipment.  I have no feedback on Audiogon and wouldn't enjoy selling if I did.  I am interested in experiences you have had with trade in value to a dealer.  Let's say I have an amplifier which I would normally sell for $3,000 and a set speakers which would sell for $1,500 if I were to sell them to an individual.  What expectation might one have if trading these items in on more expensive pieces? 

I have no experience in this area, but in comparing it to the automotive market, I would be getting a wholesale trade in value.  Do most audio dealers operate on the same basis, wherein they feel they must make a profit on the inventory they receive via trade in, or might they allow a fair market value if they are making a profit on the item I am buying from them?  I am sure it varies from dealer to dealer, but am interested in other's experiences.  Should I expect to take a big hit?  Or maybe just a slight cuff?  Thanks.
abnerjack
@abnerjack, 
If the equipment is in decent shape, it would behoove you to sell directly.
Just be honest about condition and price accordingly.
B
Retailers, especially those with a brick-and-mortar store, have to support their overhead which includes staffing, rent, cost of goods, advertising, and all sorts of other expenses. That’s why you would typically get about 50% of what your trade-ins would sell for. Also, I gather from perusing listings on Audiogon and similar sites, retailers will tend to have slightly higher prices than individual sellers, as it is necessary to cover the above-mentioned expenses. The rest of us only have to contend with Audiogon and Paypal fees, and negotiate who pays for the shipping, all of which is a lot simpler/cheaper than supporting an ongoing business. I agree with the consensus here that you would do best to sell as an individual. Just like the real estate market though, look for comparables so you have a realistic idea what you can expect. Getting the price right can be tricky.
I would think that it would depend on the retailer, what you are looking to buy, and how much you are willing to spend.

If you were looking for a pair of speakers and amplifier that listed for say $15,000 total, you may have the dealer give you $4,500 off for your gear.

Now keep in mind, that if you had nothing to trade in on the same items, the dealer may just knock of $3,000 to make the sale. So in essence, you would only have gotten $1,500 for your amp/speakers.
You will never get what your equipment is worth if you trade-in with a dealer.
It's the same as trading in a car when buying a new one.
I contacted a company that buys used audio gear for resale.  I understand they have to sell at a profit so I was sort of figuring on 25% of the retail price - But the offer was about 10% of retail.  I just let it go at that point.  Unless you just want something out of your house, trading it in to a dealer is not the way to go.