Tracking force on Audio Technica 120Eb

How do you have your tracking force set with your AT120E cartridge?  
The tracking force range is 1.0-1.8, with a factory recommended setting
of 1.4.   For folks who own the AT120E, what setting are you using?

Thanks.

Ag insider logo xs@2xheadshrinker2

Showing 2 responses by sunnyjim

Headshrinker and Czarivey,  I think you may have "possibly" solved my problem with the same cartridge; (however my AT  is 120E, not Eb which I assume is the newest version).  My table is a newly acquired vintage Thorens TD-145 which has been refurbished with some minor upgrades.  I have set tracking at the recommended optimal force of 1.4; I also tried 1.5g last week.

Today's session, tracking  at one 1.4g, the highs sound consistently tinny, and the bass and mids less full (though accurate) than  when I was running this cartridge with a Rega 3-24 (whose tone arm is better than the TP-60 on the Thorens)  I sold the Rega with the intention of getting out of analog. I guess there is sucker born every day, and I think I am one of them.

I am not a happy camper, but will try the czar's suggestions of tracking at 1.8 or 1.9 to see the difference in the sound, and also to see if 1.8 provides a noticeable improvement in the sound. I think the AT120E is a good cartridge, but considering Thorens reputation based on TD-145 model and other tables in the TD series, I probably should use a better cartridge like AT 440MLb  which I have read  that its frequency range is much wider. It also uses a "micro line' stylus, and the magnet structure supposedly will enhance the sound quality over earlier model of the 440ML.

The Thorens table  sounds great, and is remarkably quiet, but I would think twice about buying anything vintage refurbished, upgraded, or whatever  I am not trying to sound like sour grapes, but buyer's remorse is a bitter pill to swallow. 

Czar, if you have any other tips, or recommendations, let them fly.   Thanks, Jim

Headshrinker,  I have about 25-30 hours on the cartridge.   BTW, I took the Czar's advice and have set the tracking first at 2.00g, then backed it off to 1.75g.  Sounded better at least yesterday, but the highs are not smooth, also they are a bit tiny, and restricted. 

I am not sure this is best choice for a vintage Thorens TD-145 and its TP-60 tonearm. In addition the headshell is bigger than most current tonearms and the shell allows for very little back and forth movement to set azimith adjustments using a Geo Disc.   I need some advice and recommendation from owners or former owners of this table, as to the best and most compatible MM or highout put MC. at about $300-350, possibly lower