Totem mani 2 or Dynaudio 1.3 SE

Both of these are relatively inefficient two way mini monitors. I'm trying to decide between them. I am thinking of purchasing a used set of one of these pairs of speakers. I have heard the Contour 1.3 MkII. Have not heard the SE version but assume that the more of a good thing concept holds true. I really liked the 1.3's but I keep reading wonderful things about the Mani 2 that seem to very much to describe the sound I am looking for. Does anyone out there have experience with both of these speakers that wants to put in their two cents?
esun

Showing 1 response by whknopp0713

I've heard both these speakers in stores, and I think they are both good, but quite different. The Dynaudio's are more "accurate," leaner and drier, whereas the Totems are warm, earthy, lusty things. I thought the Mani 2 was great for its drive, bass and harmonic meatiness and it is the best soundstage I've ever heard (driven by Sim and Classe, with Transparent cables and Richard Gray PLC). The drawback is that you must have lots of good power and rock solid stands. It may be small, but it's a $4k speaker and needs a commensurate amp, placement well into the room and massive stands. Isobarik woofers in a small cabinet will just eat power. Hepl's Klout is no doubt a good choice. And you definitely need something like Sound Anchors' four pillar stand. I considered buying them and ended up spending a lot more to get something genuinely better.