Totem Mani-2 and Adcom 555/2

Anyone have any experience with this combo? Thoughts, impressions?
Thanks.
rubber

Showing 5 responses by ckoffend

I can't speak toward the B&K M200s, but I can tell you that I did run both Forrests and Arro with a B&K 507 S2 and it was aweful. JuNora Jones was so bright it hurt my ears. I honestly thought it was the recordings until I bought different amps and just used the B&K for the pre/pro. Hopefully, the M200s are on a whole different level than the 507. It was a good pre/pro, but I had learned over time (when I switched out the mediocre B&W speakers) to the Totem's, that the highs of the B&K were no good as a receiver.
Bdgregory, Thanks for your follow up with regards to the M200 from B&K, I am sure in response to my experience with the 507 receiver. I had sort of ruled out B&K after my experience with the 507 and the Totem speakers. I am glad to hear that the M200 delivers a much smooth upper end. B&K is a great company to work with, very helpful, responsive and caring.
I have owned the Adcom 565 monoblock amps and also, many, many years ago had a pair of Mani speakers in my system for about one month, but not both at the same time.

I can tell you that the Mani speakers are some of my favorite all time speakers! For their size, they are absolutely incredible. I also owned the Wilson Audio Witts (slightly larger than the Mani speakers), but other than a smoother tweeter, they did not have anything else on the Totems.

Personally, I find the Totem tweeters can become bright if the wrong upstream equipment is used. A more recent case was last year I had a pair of Forrest and a pair of Arro (2 different rooms). Both speakers were way, way, way too bright listening to Nora Jones via a B&K 507 S2 Receiver (which I put in about the same category as the Adcom on the general ladder). When I ran my pre-out to either a Pass Labs amp or a Mark Levinson amp, this glare disappeared and I could once again listen to Nora Jones. When I replaced the B&K, the sound improved dramatically even more.

Because it has been so many years since I owned Adcom, I cannot comment on whether this would be the case. I can tell you that if you are considering buying the Mani speakers (even the earliest versions) that they are truly wonderful speakers and if you are getting them at a good price, absolutely can recommend going for it - even if you find you need to replace this amp. The speakers do like a fair amount of power and the quality and amount of power is going to mean you are likely to spend $1,500 +/- on a decent used amp for them (not great, but decent).

That double woofer design requires the power.
I think the following amps would be good with the Mani's:

McCormick
Bryston

Both of these are likely to be the most affodable of my list

Pass Labs 250.5+
Mark Levinson 23.5 (which I think is a great old amp)
Krell FPB 200+

There are probably many, many others out there that will also do well, but I am sticking to amps I a more familiar with and/or owned.

You cannot base on amp or any component strictly on price and the idea that you should spend the same on an amp as on speakers is not a "Rule" one should plan to follow. However, you (probably, like most people) will set a budget and the max. of your budget is what you are willing to spend. If you can find a good deal at 1/2 or even 1/4 of your budget - great! Many Totem owners and threads, look for feedback on their general speakers and if referencing someting like the Hawk, you can assume to stick within the same amp family, but add a lot more power.

Personally, I found the Arro needed more power than the Forrest to really sing. The Mani needs way more than both.
Rubber, If you are happy with the Adcom, why change anything? If you feel you need more power for the Manis and like the Adcom sound, then just go to a larger Adcom.

As I indicated above, I had previously owned Adcom 565 monoblocks thta had gobs of power for a pair of Martin Logans. I liked these amps very much (though never heard them with Totems). Later, when I switches speakers I went with much lower powered tube monoblocks (90 wpc) which was plenty for my needs at the time.

You can get great gear at great prices with patience, as you have come to learn. While you may be able to get the last iota for more money - it sometimes can cost of lot. I appreciate and respect your approach to solid equipment at bargain prices. I for one always feel happier with a bargain purchase than spending too much even for a piece that mey be better!