Totem Hawks - my impressions

I just acquired a used pair of Hawks this week and am extremely impressed with them. They have significantly more presence in the low end than my Joseph Audio RM25XL speakers and the mid-range is just magical. They have an immense soundstage, too. They don't seem to be very sensitive to set up and sound fine just a foot away from the rear wall. They are easy to move around given their small size and weight. They do need a lot of power to make them sing, probably at least 100 wpc, I would think. In my 40 years in audio, these are the best speakers I have ever had in my listening room at their price point. Oh, one other thing. With their "claw" feet, they are quite top-heavy and thus unstable on thick carpeted floors. I am getting outrigger spikes that will greatly increase their stability and mass couple them to the floor, which will no doubt improve their performance. Very highly recommended speakers!
whitestix

Showing 1 response by kiwi_1282001

Also owned a pair of Totem Hawk loudspeakers for a couple of years.  I thought they were good within their limits.   They struck me as a speaker better suited to acoustical music, vocals and jazz rather than rock.   With rock the woofer can be easily over driven.  Do try and use Totem Acoustic Beaks with them.  I don't get how they work but they were an upgrade for my speakers.