Toslink vs. RCA

So, I get that every digital signal needs to be converted to analog before it is amplified and sent to speakers. Keeping that in mind, I’m trying to figure out whether it’s better to use Toslink or RCA connection for my used Bluesound N100 streamer and new NAD C328 integrated amp (both have built-in DACs).

I THINK if I use toslink, that makes the C328 the default DAC, and it will do the analog conversion; and if I use RCA connectors, which can only handle analog signals, then the N100does the conversion? Is that right? 

Given all that, which is best for setting this system up: toslink or RCA? (I think the DACs are pretty comparable in both units.)

Related question: I have a ton of old RCA cables laying around. Is it worth spending $75 (AudioQuest) or $150 (Kimber) on better-quality RCA cables versus using the basic stuff? I’m a relative newbie to audio gear, and I’m trying to be budget-conscious about this set-up. (I guess same question on buying more $ toslink cable if that’s the way I go)

Thanks!
128x128davidb928
davidb928... i strongly recommend rca (coaxial) cables. Toslink grip is tight but not audiophile cables, True that toslink are 75ohms digital cables but the toslink plugs are not audiophile plugs. Toslink was created for studio, the locking mech helps with inadvertently from falling apart. imho toslink plugs were never meant to be use in audiophile equipments.

i recommend rca ( coaxial cables), specifically made at 75ohms, not all rca cables are created equally. Regular RCA are NOT made for digital application. You should look into NBS digital.
Well, are you talking toslink optical vs. coax RCA digital output from streamer or are you comparing digital output vs. analog RCA output from streamer. If former, I prefer to use the coax digital output over toslink. If latter it depends on which device has the better sounding DAC.