TOPPING D90MQA AK4499

https://www.ebay.com/i/114013045351?ul_noapp=true

I am currently using a full balanced SMSL SU-8 with the 9038 ESS Sabre chips. Do you think that I could actually hear the difference between these DACs? Any improvement? I can not truthfully discern any improvement in sound between the SMSL unit and the 100 dollar DAC I used before, a PreSonus USB Audiobox recording and playback DAC meant for home recording with a 96K Cirrus chip. I do use balanced cables and a Re-Clocker along with Audirvana and powered monitors

and there is the Gustard A22 with DUAL AKM4499 and MQA - MQA coming this month
a bit more kit at $1150

I am tempted for the Topping D90MQA and with the savings over the Gustard trying a Schiit Freya +

canibefrank
I have had the D90 MQA for 2 weeks - but it is being returned this week. I bought it to hear fully rendered MQA but the darned thing only does that through its USB input -- not Coax/BNC SPDIF or optical.  :(

As a non MQA DAC, say, streaming HR Quboz, it sounds very nice. Sweet high end, spacious, great on transients. Definitely a lil more silky than ESS Sabre sound as I remember it, though I did not have one on hand to A-B back to back.

This being said, the D90 doing non MQA is not discernably better than my Chord 2Qute/Qutest or RME ADI-2. Obviously the RME has a very similar AKM chip, so there is a family resemblance.
Canibefrank 
If you want to hear the AKM chips Velvet Sound with a small investment you may want to try The Schiit Modi 3 for $100.
Nothing to lose. I am very impressed with its overall quality and sound. As a matter of fact I bought 2!
hmmm hmmmm
perhaps looking at the Freya + without a change in DAC is in order
with the PreSonus USB DAC and a Wyred4Sound reclocker the hifi sounded righteous
For a time the Modi 3 was the best measuring DAC Schiit built. Not sure about the other new ones I think they started using the APx555 anyalizer to improve their products.