Top vintage receivers vs. modern high-end equipment

I am considering pairing an old amplification system to my JBL Paragon -- the idea of getting an all vintage system is very attractive to me. Among other things, I am looking into classics such as the Pioneer 1980 receiver or the Marantz 2600. Does anyone have direct experience in comparing this kind of equipment (very high-end but 40 years ago) to current high-end equipment, imagine an integrated Pass Lab amplifier? How do they stack up? Thank you. 
ggavetti
I'm not saying you should get one , it's not the best by any means but some of these old amps have a non audiophile magic. I acquired a Mapleshade Scott LK48 not really knowing what it was. I brought it to work hooked it up to some Paradigm very first generation Atoms speakers, a 2 or $300 speaker, source was an old Denon DVD player. I hit play and could not believe those Atoms could sound like that. I brought it back home that same day. Hooked it up to some Usher tiny dancer and with jazz, blues or non complex music there is a very natural presentation that addicting. No big bass or super detail. 

I'm not saying you should get one , it's not the best by any means but some of these old amps have a non audiophile magic. I acquired a Mapleshade Scott LK48 not really knowing what it was. I brought it to work hooked it up to some old Paradigm first generation Atoms speakers, a 2 or $300 speaker, source was an old Denon DVD player. I hit play and could not believe those Atoms could sound like that, they never have not even close. I brought amp back home that same day. Hooked it up to some Usher tiny dancer and with jazz, blues, folk or non complex music there is a very natural presentation that's addicting. No big bass or super detail. This was my first el84 amp, just makes me want to hear more el84 amps. I have some mullard el34 xf1 and 2's and love those tubes but the el84 is now one of my favorite tubes, wonderful tone. One trick take out hard wired stock power cord and put in a IEC.

I’m in my late fifties and have has so much gear throughout the years it’s silly.  Mac, Pioneer, Sansui, Phase, Citation, Krell, Levinson, Crown, marantz, etc.

Some pieces I’ve kept and swap in every now and then, but my go to does everything right is my Sansui 9090DB.  It’s so smooth, has grace and power. I can’t find any sonic shortcomings.

My audio buddies are always amazed at just how ‘good’ it sounds. 
Just the right amount of everything.  My second favorite are my vintage marantz preamps.  

I bought a Mcintosh tuner 7082 and the tuner doesn't work, either do the presets. they claimed to put new batteries in the unit. after charging for 24 + hours still no luck?  any ideas?
Im surprised that no one has mentioned the Harmon Kardon Twin Power 730 or its smaller brothers, 430 or 330. I bought one in '78. I recently fired it up and was shocked at how big the sound is.