Top vintage receivers vs. modern high-end equipment

I am considering pairing an old amplification system to my JBL Paragon -- the idea of getting an all vintage system is very attractive to me. Among other things, I am looking into classics such as the Pioneer 1980 receiver or the Marantz 2600. Does anyone have direct experience in comparing this kind of equipment (very high-end but 40 years ago) to current high-end equipment, imagine an integrated Pass Lab amplifier? How do they stack up? Thank you. 
ggavetti
I went through a stage of vintage late 70’s receivers. Had a few. All completely recapped.
pioneer Sx-1280
JVC JRS600
Pioneer SX-5580 (same as sx-1050 but black face and multi voltage)
Sony str-v7

they really held there value. (Except the JVC-JR S600, although one of the best sounding after the complete recap, it really didn’t have much resale value. )

mahgister is right, you can’t get features like these anywhere near the price point.  

I will I’ll say that upgrading power and better caps made each one of these something special. And a lot of fun.
I bought a Kenwood KR8010 back in the late seventies and have only had it worked on once since then in the late nineties I still use it in an old style set up and it still looks and sounds great, I have seen them listed online from time to time you might want to check into one of these receivers they would sound great with an old pair of JBL speakers. 
I did a lot of auditioning of equipment back in the late 70’s and I ended up getting the Yamaha 2020 receiver, I liked the sound better than the others I listened to and it had features that other’s didn’t. The old Marantz and McIntosh separates were very good. I have seen the Yamaha 2020 used going for more than retail.
I wouldn’t waste my $$$ on older equipment for 2 reasons: the newer equipment sounds better and you can’t get or it’s very hard to get parts for older equipment.
I used to sell audio equipment in the stereo heyday of the mid-70's to early 80's. I found the upper end of Sansui receivers and the entire integrated amplifier range to be better sounding, more neutral and have greater detail than any of the other consumer brands that I sold. The G7000, G8000, G9000 and the holy grail G11000 (special order only) to be great sounding receivers with the best FM performance of any. My only complaint was the (to my eyes) garish "Tokyo by Night" styling and huge footprint. On the other hand, the AU 517, AU 717 (I bought one) and the hard to find AU 917 integrateds were very handsome (again to me) understated black boxes with amazing build quality and excellent sonics. I used my AU 717 to power JBL L-166's with great results. 

The later Sansui receivers and integrateds such as the x500's and x700's still sounded good, but the internals were getting cheap. Same with the "Z" series that followed, but they looked better. 

The one other brand of components to consider are the Technics separates from the era. These have been under the radar, but were well built, have understated styling and are neutral sounding. Look for models like the SE 9600 or SE 9060 preamp and SU 9070 or SU 9600 amps. I would still pair with a Sansui TU 517, TU 717 or TU 917 tuner.
Most of the guys I knew leaving Nam bought Sansui.  Seemed like it was good back then and I would suggest trying it.  This was late '60s early '70's.

The Marantz 7 mentioned above?  Just don't.  Even Saul told me it was not his best work, and that was in 1974.

I still have an Onkyo tuner from back then that works just fine.

NOT being rude, but with those speakers, I doubt it will make much difference what you do.  Sorry if that seems harsh.

Cheers!