Top vintage receivers vs. modern high-end equipment

I am considering pairing an old amplification system to my JBL Paragon -- the idea of getting an all vintage system is very attractive to me. Among other things, I am looking into classics such as the Pioneer 1980 receiver or the Marantz 2600. Does anyone have direct experience in comparing this kind of equipment (very high-end but 40 years ago) to current high-end equipment, imagine an integrated Pass Lab amplifier? How do they stack up? Thank you. 
ggavetti
Post removed 
In my opinion:

The Consumer-Grade Electronics have always had their "better" stuff AND their "cheap JUNK".  And some brands tended to build a more solid unit than others (Vintage Pioneer, Marantz, and Harman-Kardon's better offerings) in Solid-State.  Also, some of the premium Japanese stuff that was actually MADE in Japan in the late-70's thru 1980's was also supposed to have been pretty darned good.

I can't speak much for Vintage Tube Gear - but that does not sound like the era of stuff that you would be looking-for.

Likewise, in Audio, there has almost ALWAYS been the "Consumer Stuff" vs. the "Esoteric Audiophile Stuff".  I think that the key difference was that less of the "Classic" Audiophile equipment was as far out-of-reach financially as a lot of the Modern-Era Audiophile stuff (some of it was even sold as "assemble it yourself" kits and was supposedly pretty darned GOOD [Dynaco and some H-K Citation]).

Products offered by various companies usually changed over time - some for the better.  (Heck - in TV, look at what used to be the junk that one used to find at "Monkey Wards" - stuff like Goldstar and Samsung, which are now premier brands in that market.)  And some for the worse - usually, when a good up-and-coming company sells their soul to a Corporation that gradually replaces the founders and cheapens the products.

If you are into Vinyl - it DOES make sense to look at something from the "heyday" of HiFi Vinyl recordings (1960s thru early 1980s).  After that, with the advent of the CD and the "Digital" hype - most consumer electronics companies stopped putting much effort into their Phono circuitry.  But, as others have said - get a mid to high-end product and spend a few bucks on restoring it (cleaning controls / replacing Electrolytic Caps, etc.)
This is all very interesting. Perhaps a better choice than high-powered vintage receivers is some classic tube equipment, like the Marantz 7 preamplifier, and Marantz 8b amplifier combo. I once had a Model 7 and was impressed with it. The 8b has a simple circuit with what might be the best output tubes out there...that might be a good way to go: you stay in the vintage era like the Paragon, and get very good (although not very high-powered) amplification.
Agreed. Lose the receiver unless you really need a tuner. I run 1960s EICO HF35 monoblocs. Why? Because, given that I don't need power, they sound as good as the best I've heard.
just adding my 2 cents, if I had the Paragon would not be looking at 1970s receivers, would look for a Marantz 7 pre and a pair of MAC MC60s......