Top music streamer for 2019? Aurender N10’s?

I will shortly be purchasing a Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated with its internal DAC module.  I’m now wondering what to do about a music streamer, as I’m doubting that my current stock Mac Mini with Audirvana will do justice to the Gryphon.  My budget is < 10k.  After scanning forums this is what I’ve found consistently:  1) Aurender is frequently recommended, seemingly more so than other brands, 2) the Aurender N10 sounds much better than the much less expensive N100H, 3) Any higher end dedicated streamer will elevate sound significantly over my Mac Mini.

So it appears my best option is the Aurender N10 other than the price tag.  My questions are:  1) Do people agree with the statements above?  And, 2) How do the much less expensive Moon Mind 2 and Bluesound products compare with the Aurender N10?  Is the difference large?  And, 3) How big is the sound quality increase going to a N10 from a Mac Mini, and what specifically are the differences I should expect? 

Thanks

nyev

Showing 10 responses by grannyring

Right now the Innuous line is the hottest ticket.  They sound fantastic and should be on your list. 
What’s not to like about Roon? Just curious as it my pick for music MVP of the decade.  
I just received my Innuos Zen 3 and it is remarkable.  So meaty and full bodied while serving up the details in a most musical manner.  This unit is only $2500 or so with 1T of memory.  I loaded 1020 CDs and only used 50% of the space. I have heard many players and this one is easily a Best buy at this price. 
I just went for the Zen without trying the ZENith.  Did not compare.  I have read in numerous places that the much more expensive ZENith is not that much better.  It’s a tad better, not 25% better or anything like that.  

Innuos removes all the glare and digital artifacts that robs music of its soul and emotion. You can turn up your music and listen with ease.  Just amazing what they have done here IMHO.  
What are CDs? Ha! Any CD I may buy will get ripped immediately and loaded into Roon with all the music I stream from Tidal. What a joy to have all this music available with just a couple of clicks! Amazing time to be a lover of music. I am listening to more new music than ever and loving the experience. My digital front end has never sounded better than with the Innuos/Tidal/Roon combo. I have owned all manner of great CD players and transports and the Innuos takes the sonic lead in my experience. Great sound all at my fingertips. No more looking for a CD by fumbling through a bunch of plastic cases.

I realize some like to handle discs and that is great for them. Great time to buy CDs cheap so your in luck.

I have access to and actually experienced more new music in two years than the previous 30 with the advent of Tidal and streaming. My newfound love for Americana music is all due to streaming and Tidal.  
I have to agree that Mike did make a mistake in going live with his Innuos video. I like his videos usually, but he missed the mark on this and owes Innuos an apology. He said many things that are simply not true and speculated on many more. Some of his errors....

- I own the lessor Zen III and use Roon DSP with no issues at all. I upsample everything to DSD128 and also use the EQ at times. Never a hiccup. Mike got this wrong.

- I use it as both Roon Core and Endpoint. It is a server. Mike got this wrong.

- It replaced a much more expensive tricked out server that was more powerful and exactly like the kind Mike felt was better and needed. I5 processor with SOTA copper pipe cooling etc...A nice TXUSB Ultra USB card from SOTM, both Audiophile Optimizer and Fidelizer software employed. Tons of storage, large SSD drive...you get it. The Innuos is in another league sonically. They know how to deal with noise and have done a great job. Mike got this wrong.

- Mike said the chassis costs $100. I also build gear and he is simply wrong. The total cost to design, layout and produce the chassis broken down to a per unit cost is far higher than $100. Mike has this wrong.

- Mike said one can buy a power supply from EBay for $118-$200 that is as good. Really? No, those power supplies do not use the grade of parts and circuit board quality like those found in the Innuos.

- Mike speculated on what the custom motherboard must be in the Innuos. He has no direct knowledge and is guessing. He should admit he MAY indeed be wrong here. The mother board may be more custom than he guesses. Bad idea to assume things based on speculation in a public video.

Mike does good work and I generally enjoy his videos and passion for audio. I am a lot like him in that passion. However, Mike is not perfect it seems. None of us are. He owes Innuos an apology and should take down the rant video. Just not professional behavior on the part of Mike as a competitor.
I build my own cables, tube amps, preamps, power supplies and conditioners and know folks make money on gear. What is wrong with that? Why not support the builder, his employees and the dealer. They need to feed and house their families also. I understand the particular business model you outlined and appreciate the benefits of it. I also appreciate other business models and the benefits they provide.

You are missing the point Mike as I clearly outlined in my first post. Pull the video or correct it. Do the right thing here. Innuos has a good product that sounds fantastic and you have oversimplified, speculated and misrepresented what the products does and does not do. Your video is not accurate and should be taken down or updated and corrected. It would be wise to remove all the speculation and negative tone. Just not a good reflection of your positive attributes. You have a good reputation for service and make great products. I really enjoy your passion also. You just missed the mark on this one by going too far out on the limb of speculation and not fully understanding the product’s purpose and capabilities.

I guess it all depends on one’s sensitivity towards truth and professionalism. I agree with all you stated except I cannot get passed the incorrect assumptions and misinformation. Instead of being informational the video clearly has an off-putting flavor of pettiness combined with a rushed and reckless disregard of the truth. 
I see. I don't listen to those two types of music. Sorry to hear that. I have had no issues finding artists thus far...past 3 years.  I also find I don't have to spell the artist’s name  correctly as the latest Roon update has accounted for that reality. 
No doubt the innovation pace is fast right now around digital front ends and yes any server will be outdated in as little as 5 years.  I’ll be kind and say 5-7, but it could be even less.  This is a reality with streaming, dacs, servers etc...