Top Five for 2005

The year's coming to an end, what's your top five finds for 2005?

New or old releases.

All recommendations are welcome.

Here's my five:

Mulgrew Miller- Live at Yoshi's Vol.2
Branford Marsalis- Eternal
Frank Jackson- New York after Dark
Marian McPartland - 85 Candles
Stryker/Slagle Band - Live at the Jazz Standards

Happy Holidays.
kana813

Showing 3 responses by henryhk

I buy about 10 CD/SACDs per month I guess, but a majority was released prior to 2005, I think...and at times I get a bit confued what was orginally released when...so working from memory for just 2005 in no particular order (& excluding SACDs as the original music has been available)

1. Tim Ries: The Rolling Stone Project: jazz interpretations of the Stones! With Charlie Watts, Bill Frisell, Norah Jones, John Scofield, Larry Golding, Sheryl Crow, Keith Richards, John Patitucci..simply amazing

2. Steve Kuhn: Trance: release of 1975 recording...has been out of print for years: jazz+ electronica before its time and current craze and done way better

3. Toto Bonka Lokua: spare instrumental backing a trio of amazing voices..great test record as well...almost acapella, african, carribean, even blues influences.

4. Oz Noy: Ha!: If you like SVR, Jimi Hendrix, etc, you'll like this

5. Joshua Redman: Momentum: finally gets his version of funk jazz right

6. Robert Plant and The Strange Sensation:Might Rearranger: vastly underrated, best solo effort in yrs.

7. Martin, Medeski & Wood: End of World Party: the best of jam band music and their own best album to date IMO

8. Jeff Parker: The Relatives: Jazz gtr by someone who was brought up on chill, hip-hop, experimental..well sounds like that way, angular solos are quite interesting..and has his own identity and thus uniquness as an artist..perfer to Tortoise in which he is band member

9. Bill Connors: Return: yes that one...from Chick Corea's Return To Forever...very well recorded and "fusion" done with a swing

Hey, I kept it to single digits!
Hi ben...good to see someone agree w. me on Robert Plant! Also agree on Beck. Yeah and Arcadian Fire...something is missing....I think its passion
Good call Kana813...thanks..never head of Stryker-Slage before and checked them out upon your recommendation...thanks!