Top 3 Headphones

I want a set of audiophile [subjective, I know] headphones. I saw this article below. How can $295 Grados be at #1. When 3000X are $2,000?

My budget is > $1,000. Regardless of my preamp/headphone amp, what is the top 3 (if there’s even a consensus)?

I enjoy Classic Rock, Alternative, Country and soft jazz.

bound4h

I am not a headphone guy, but I think I have 2 of the very best headphones at any price. As I write this, I am listening to my hard rock headphones, the RAAL CA-1a with the SR728 Silver RAAL cable (it matters). I have 3 amps (soon to be 4) that I can use with this headphone.

- Schitt Jotenhiem R headphone amp ($500 discontinued)

- RAAL VM-1a headphone amp ($7000)

- Benchmark AHB2 monos

- Peachtree GAN1 (delivery next week)

I only use the CA-1a with the Schitt and VM-1a. Both are very good, with the VM-1a able to provide the best rock and roll listening experience I have ever heard. That is using the VM-1a in PENTODE mode (there are 2 other modes). The only minus is that the CA-1a has a sonic profile like traditional headphones though the VM-1a elevates that sound to the extreme.

The better headphone is the RAAL SR1a, It is not as hard hitting as the CA-1a so that is why I call my CA-1a the rock and roll phones. However, the SR1a is mind blowing great, especially with the VM-1a amp. The sound is unlike other headphones and more like 2-channel sound.

I listen to the SR1a with 3 of the amps listed above and when the 4th amp arrives, I will use that in a room where I can lay down and zone out.

I used to own the Meze Empy headphones with the Benchmark HPA4 headphone amp. I thought it was rather good but not something I would take over 2-channel. The 2 RAAL phones I have are equivalent to my 2-channel setup. I am not downgrading when I use them late at night (like right now). Cranking some April Wine on the CA-1a with the VM-1a headphone amp.

BTW - if you live in a big city see if you can check out the next CanJam show.

Events | CanJam (canjamglobal.com)

BTW - Stereophile is supposed to do a review of the gear I listed above. It will Shirley be a rave.

I enjoy in my top three to be the focal Utopia, DanClark Audio Stealth, and the Meza Audio Elite.  DCA are approaching the Utopias for a closed can and non fatiguing for late night deep dives.  Happy listening

This is what the article says about the Grado:

These are the best audiophile headphones at this price.

There have been times in my life where I've wondered if I could find a better sounding headphone. In the past decades I've attended both CES and AXPONA shows, sampling many different sets of headphones. In a situation like that, it's kind of tough to analyze each one, because they're usually being powered by different headphone amplifiers. So I would ask myself, if I liked what I was hearing from a headphone at one of these shows, would it sound the same on my gear at home? Many times it didn't. I love headphones, as they are my main source when critically listening. I think you really need to know what you're looking for in sound when shopping for a favorite set. I did, and after many years of auditioning headphones, I arrived at my (current) favorite, which is the Grado SR325e (they have since updated that model to the SR325x). I wasn't completely satisfied with the SR325e right from the start (as I felt the bass was a little lacking for my taste), but then did a little internet research, and noticed some owners were posting tweaks to the headphone that altered the sound a bit. One of them was to wrap one layer of electrical/vinyl tape on the outer edge of the foam headphone pads. I'm like WHAT?! I did this, and for me it brought the sound of this model to exactly where I wanted it. I also tried different foams that Grado makes, but decided to stay with the original ones, with the tape on the outer edge. Hopefully you can attend an audio convention, or a local dealer, and audition some headphones for yourself. No pun intended, but one size does not always fit all. Good luck.