Top 20 or Top 100 Classical Music Charts

Can anyone tell me where I can find top 20 or top 100 weekly, fortnightly or even monthly charts of classical music sales and/or airplay, preferably online. The information is easily available for pop music but I can't sem to track it down for classical.

I'd also be interested in similar information for world and jazz music.
wcvb

Showing 3 responses by sugarbrie

Amazon keeps track of their sales at: http://www.searchbeat.com/perl/apexec.pl?etype=amazon&template=amazon-classical-best.htm&mode=hotlist&amazon.passurl=/exec/obidos/subst/music/charts/classical-20-albums.html/
Billboard Magazine keeps a classical chart at: http://www.billboard.com/billboard/yearend/2001/classical.jsp

To get current full Billboard classical charts online (or in print) you have to be a subscriber.

Both the websites for Amazon and Billboard have similar Jazz links.

The charts are interesting.
Now all we have to do is convince record companies that Sarah Brightman, Charlotte Church, Mark O'Connor,
most Adrea Bocelli recordings, and Billy Joel's music played on solo piano is NOT classical music.

I guess their criteria makes the Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed" classical music.
And the Beatles "Eleanor Rigby" is chamber music. (I love both of these!)

I do put composer John Williams in classical.
He is probably the best symphonic composer today, but is ignored by the classical elite because he writes for movies.
This ignores that Handel, Mozart, Haydn, Rossini, Verdi, etc, wrote for the "theater"
and mostly for the same reason as Williams writes for movies (Hint: $$$$$$$).
If movies had been around then, I am sure they would have done so.
We listen to concert versions of ballet and opera music, but hardly if ever movie music.
Maybe like them of course, John Williams won't be appreciated until 50 years after he is dead and gone.

Williams has written a choral piece that will be played live in the opening Salt Lake Olympic ceremony,
with the Utah Symphony and Mormon Choir. I think a CD is already available.