Toole and why I like Tone Controls

In another thread I was pointed to a really excellent paper by Dr. Floyd Toole (he doesn't use the Dr. but it is well earned) on getting to neutral.

So I want to go back with a little history. In all of audio reproduction theater sound reproduction is among the most rigidly controlled areas of audio. From the needs of Dolby Surround playback, to introduction of acoustic decay requirements introduced by THX, and more, the attempt to deliver a uniform theater experience has been a subject of serious effort by many, and continues to be so.

That's in sharp contrast to consumer music.

So while this article focuses heavily on theater sound, it also touches on just how difficult it is for even theater sound experts to get to neutral. If they can't do it, imagine how hard it is for music!

And, yes, I'm going to hijack Dr. Toole's paper to plug tone controls. With all the guessing that goes on, not using tone controls, and not having great tone controls to use is folly.  Quote me. I said FOLLY!

http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20200201/17839.pdf

Also, personal request, if anyone knows how I can get in touch with him and be a fan boy, please let me know. :) I'd love to hang with him, and it turns out he's a local.
erik_squires

Showing 3 responses by noble100

Hello jeffjoeblob,

I'm just curious about how you tend to use your tone controls and built-in PEQ, do you have the controls set at specific positions and generally keep them there or do you find yourself adjusting them from song to song or album to album?

Tim
mijostyn: "The system will follow the appropriate loudness curve depending on the actual volume so no matter what the volume the music sounds exactly the same. Various curves are stored in memory to cover specific problems."

Hello mijostyn,

As I stated earlier in this thread, it’s my experience that good quality class D amps (Currently very noticeably present on my pair of class D DSonic M3-600-M monoblocks), do this naturally with all source content. I use a Levinson 326S ss balanced preamp with no tone controls.
     I have no idea how technically this happens but I’m suspecting it’s been incorporated into the comparator circuitry of the class D power modules, that are constantly comparing the inputted signal to the outputted post amplified signals to make sure they match, then making any necessary adjustments to the signals prior to releasing them to the speakers. It seems to me that this would be the logical circuitry to insert some sort of automatic, algorithm based loudness control.
     I’ve noticed this very unusual but obvious characteristic on all of the good quality class D amps I’ve owned or listened to thus far. I’m not stating this as factual, rather as a possible explanation for what I know I perceive.  I haven’t heard any other class D amp users discuss this trait but I’d still be very interested in asking Bruno Putzeys and other class D amp power module designers about this phenomenon.

Tim

Hello elliotbnewcombjr,

Let me get this straight, you make all of the adjustments you detailed on your last post every time you decide to enjoy some music?  
     You certainly don't make all of these fine tuning adjustments on every musical track you play, right?  I would think many tracks would be finished playing by the time you made all the fine tuning adjustments you describe.
     Do you play each track twice, once to fine tune all your settings and once again to enjoy the actual music?
     Have you ever considered the possibility that you enjoy making adjustments and fine tuning the controls more than you enjoy the music?

Thanks,
   Tim