Too Much Power

Please bear with me as I am nowhere near an expert at this type of thing...

I recently read a review of the PS Audio Stellar M1200 mono amps. I was somewhat taken aback by their power rating of  600 watts at 8 ohms/1200 watts at 4 ohms. Made me wonder what, if any, are the drawbacks to that much power? Welcome your thoughts...

gnoworyta

@stevewharton  Wow. I had not seen that before. That is quite a claim. Not sure I'd want to test that claim. Thanx for the reply. 

If you choose an amp with a lot of reserve power, the advantages you will get are:

- Ability to handle a lot of extra dynamic headroom.  With today's digital sources, it is possible sometimes to get about 120 - 144 db of dynamic headroom.  If you are listening to a lower powered amp already at 3/4 of its max volume, and one of these musical sections slam you, your amp may not be able to handle it, if it is a relatively low powered amp.  On a hi powered amp, since it is extremely unlikely you will be listening at 3/4 the max volume, such a slam will be much more easily handled.

- This also goes pretty much with the above but you are much LESS likely to clip your amp, if it is higher powered.

- If your amp is class D, you will not be paying for extra heat or inefficiencies.

All things being equal, there are really no drawbacks for a high power Class D amp, other than maybe paying for something you may not need. But all things are never equal and one of those is Class D is horrible sounding if not done right (Levinson No. 53?).

An analogy to amplifier power would be: is a 2400 watt wall outlet (standard 20-amp circuit at 120 volts) too much power for a 7-watt LED desk lamp? Of course not. The power is consumed by the light bulb and all you pay for is the power consumed, not what is available. The outlet does not "produce" 2400 watts and the lamp only takes in 7 of those watts -- it has it there at the ready should it be needed. Just like the power reserves of an amplifier.

...referencing back to @mapman ​​​@carlsbad, the bulk of your listening is done at <5wrms.  At that level, you're already peaks into 100+...and beyond if that's your amps' available power....

Which is what it's about, roughly.  A tube class A into efficient speakers seems to have more 'bark to it's woof', whereas A/B tubed a bit less so.  But the price one pays is heat and shifts in 'character'...imho...

Into SS amps, less heat but into the Silicone Sound....love it, leave it, or just enjoy the differences.  More or less, what I'm about. *G*

D is OK at the lower $ levels, but the improved (& more $, generally) versions are obviously superior,   And no heat, unless you're riding it hard & putting it up wet...

The lower wattage ones seem to 'soft clip', but that's just an absurdvation I've made.  Your results will likely vary...Damage?  Perhaps.....

I used to own this nifty little box that registered VU and RMS at the amp output
16ish leds', labeled for both.

Listening with 150 a side in a 12d x 20w x 12h roof, most was 1~2 wrms with the peaks flickering at 100.

Any louder required leaving the room or earmuffs...SOP for 'room eq time'. *S*

Power hinges on driven into the given space v. the visceral experience you desire at high levels.  Simple... ;)

A good week, gentlefolk...J

Never too much power. 

The sound will be effortless and open, airy etc

my speakers are rated for 250w and have never sounded better with a Sunfire 600:sig at the helm!

You need the power. Get power and don’t look back

would need a lot of time with a D amp.

have demos a few, not my thing, a/ab is the way to go.

if you like the amps, go for it!