Tonearm recommendation

Hello all,
Recently procured a Feickert Blackbird w/ the Jelco 12 inch tonearm.
The table is really good, and its a keeper. The Jelco is also very good, but not as good as my Fidelity Research FR66s. So the Jelco will eventually hit Ebay, and the question remains do I keep the FR66s or sell that and buy something modern in the 5-6 K range. My only point of reference is my old JMW-10 on my Aries MK1, so I don't know how the FR66s would compare to a modern arm. So I'd like to rely on the collective knowledge and experience of this group for a recommendation.

Keep the FR66s, or go modern in the 5-6K range, say a Moerch DP8 or maybe an SME.

Any and all thoughts and opinions are of course much appreciated.

Cheers,      Crazy Bill
wrm0325

Griff,

Glad it's working out. Any thoughts on its relative quality, or too soon for that?  I know you like the Victor 7045.  What other arms, if any, do you favor?

In the late '80s/early '90s my ex business partner had a Goldmund Reference.  I spent a lot of time at his house. Fabulous table, and he designed a set-up jig for the arm, but I think the arm was outperformed by the ET. The Souther, later bought by Clearaudio, seemed better with MCs than it should. It was often paired with the Veritas cart and I suspected the low frequency resonance reinforced the bass. Synergistic distortion?  Never heard the Trans Fi or other air bearings.

Soldering tonearm internal wire can be challenging. It's easy to mess up. Hell, stripping the wire can be a challenge. Some techs burn it off and clean the carbon residue. Feasibility depends on insulation type.  The Sonus now has 1877 OFC. My tech did the rewire job. He's a lot better at soldering.  The Sonus is an interesting arm. It looks like a Mayware Formula 4 on steroids.  Stock, it's 4.1g eff mass. I have a custom headshell that takes it a little past 5g. 

Regards,

Dear ochremoon: Almost there are not tonearm JIGs from manufacturers that be accurate and user friendly because the extremely passive conformity and mediocrity in the audio market by customers and audio reviewers too.

"""  What do you want, a Feikert? Add that to the cost of your arm and complain about that. """

that's the kind of conformity/mediocrity I'm refering to.

For years every kind of after market audio items were and are developed: tonearm JIGs, TT platter mats, TT clamps, fuses, power cords, belts, electrical line conditioners, etc, etc. and we have to remember that every day we pay very high prices for LPs that are in bad conditions: excentricity, surface waves and the like.

Two main factors made it things be in that way: the absolute irresponsibility of almost all audio manufacturer products ( every kind. ) an the conformity/mediocrity of audio market .

Is it that the " very especial " market niche name it: high end where all of us belongs?, shame of that to every one.

Through the years I think I posted here and in other forums same kind of opinion about ( 7-9 times. ) and on each time always exist " audiophiles " that are ok with that big problem.

regards and enjoy the music,
R.

Dear don_c55: """"  NO ALIGNMENT WILL SATISFY EVERYONE! """"

I respect your opinion but do not make sense to me.

For me the Stevenson alignment ( that loves japanese audiophiles that for me are way diferent from any other world audiophile. ) today makes no sense too.

Look to these real calculated numbers/values for a 10" tonearm using Baerwald and Lofgreen B alignments:

both cases the cartridge offset angle is the same: 21.586

the difference in cartridge overhang in between is only 0.457 mm

the maximum distortion between null points is:

Baerwald: 0.57%    Lofgreen B:  0.396 almost: 0.4%

average distortion ( all LP recorded surface. ):

Baerwald: 0.38%    Lofgree B:  0.34%

Pleased let me know in which audio system and with which kind of ears any one can detect for sure between a distortion level of:

0.57%  and 0.4%  , that's it a distortion level difference of only: 0.17%!!!!!!!

or that average distortion level difference of: 0.04%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the other side, that 0.457mm overhang difference is prety easy and dificult to achieve because non accurate JIGs.

Do you know why  the MINTLP protractor was to famous for 100 bucks?

because was really accurated and is accurate. That people take in count even each owner the TT spindle diameter and everything and send to you a dedicated Baerwald alignment for your tonearm and makes a difference in sound quality not because Baerwald ( if they choosed Lofgreen will be the same results. ) alignment but because for the first time that JIG was and is ACCURATE and when use it the cartridge/tonearm set up is exactly where must be and that's what we audiophiles need from each one tonearm manufacturer. That's where resides the quality sound performance.

If we can hear differences between diferent kind of tonearm /cartridge alignments then it's because the JIG is not accurate, exception perhaps when we make comparison with a " extreme " kind of alignment as Stevenson that certainly is not for me.

We don't have to " fight " looking for the best alignment, Baerwald/Lofgreen are enough for any one, but ACCURATE and user friendly tonearm manufacturer JIGs. Their main responsability.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.

Flieb,

I have settled on the Lustre 801 for my JVC TT-81 over the JVC 7045.  This is not because one is better than the other.  But because the JVC 7545 has no advantage over my other arm.  the Graham 2.2.  The Lustre 801 does.  The Graham by the way is mounted on my VPI Aries.  The Lustre is able to correctly handle higher compliance cartridges. It is considered a heavier arm than either the JVC 7045 or the Graham 2.2.  The Graham and the JVC are considered light/medium to medium arms.  In actual use, I prefer the ease of  set-up and adjustment of the JVC over the Lustre.  
  The Lustre's original internal wiring is silver.  Same as the Graham's.  There were discussions between Joseph De Phillip of Discovery Cable and Bob Graham as to whether Bob should use ofc copper wire or silver when he was designing the original 1.5t which became the 2.0 and then the 2.2..  Bob preferred silver.  Joseph preferred ofc.  Now that I have heard both types of wire in the Lustre, I also prefer the ofc copper over the silver version.  There is more 'air' around the indivual instruments and the sound stage seems to have more depth.   But this choice only is in regards to the Lustre. I wish I was able to hear my Graham wired with ofc. None was ever offered to the Public wired in this way.  Why does the thought 'tone control' come to mind!  (grin)
   You ask me to state my favorite of the three arms.  I wish I could or wish there were enough differences  to be able to actually prefer the performance of one over the other.  I do have my favorite but my preferences of one over the other have more to do with ease of use or amount of easy range of adjustment. 
The Graham easily is the #1 of my three in this regard.  But performance wise,  I could live life 'happily ever after' with any of the three!  Flieb, I do not mean that to be some kind of 'cop out answer'.  It is truly how I feel.
Regards,    

Griff,

Thanks for the answer. It's quite interesting, glad I asked.  The 801 is the heaviest of the three, yet performs better with hi cu carts.  I would guess this is due to the magnetic/dynamic application of tracking force - dynamic VTF w/o mechanical liability.  Would you concur?       

Regards,