Tonearm Ideas for Garrard 301 Rebuild

Hi all, i have a hammertone grease bearing Garrard 301 that i'm looking to give the royal treatment. I also need a plinth, tonearm, and cartridge. I know i'm asking for the world here but really just looking for opinions based on other's experiences.

Plinth: I'm thinking about going with Woodsong Audio...i like their build philosophy and many have commented on their excellent quality and sound characteristics. Plus their beauty is the best I've seen. I was initially looking at LignoLab but I'm not sold on the looks and the cost is extremely high.

Tonearm: This is a tough one and where i think I'll need the most advice...I think I want a 12", high mass arm since all signs seem to point to that being the best combo for the 301. The one's i've had interest in are Schick, Artemis/Schroeder TA-1L, SME 312s, and Origin Live Encounter Mk3c. The prices go all over the place on this one. The Schick has my eye due to price but also for the reason it was pretty much built for the 301 and has also received great reviews on the 301 itself. Does anyone have experience with these arms on a 301? Any other contenders I should consider?

Cartridge: I think this depends on the arm i go with but I'm thinking about starting with the Denon 103R in a Soundsmith body. Again this is a highly debateable subject and probably not worth discussing until i find the rest of the pieces first.

Rebuild: Ok this is another area i could use some help. Woodsong does a full rebuild as well but it's pricey. Are there any other rebuilders out there that have a rep for good quality 301 rebuild work? I'd like to do a motor strip/cleaning, linkage cleaning/replating and have any parts that need it be replaced or is this easy enough i can do it myself with a service manual and patience?

Rest of my system is:
Shindo Masseto (Pre)
Shindo Cortese (Amp)
Transporter (Digital Source)
Metrum Octave (DAC)

Thanks in advance...
jcote

Showing 2 responses by salectric

The Schick is the obvious choice for a modern 12" arm with the 103R. Not only does it work great with the 103R, but the Schick is also a great match with the Miyajima cartridges. I have a Miyajima mono on my Schick right now.

If you wanted a less massive arm to match with other cartridges, I also like the Moerch DP-6 in the 12" Red wand version. It matches well to vintage tables as well as modern.
Jcote,

I have 3 headshells I use on the Schick: an Orsonics, Yamamoto HS-1AS ebony, and a Jelco. The Yamamoto is probably my favorite but the wires are so stiff they can make it difficult to get the cartridge aligned.