Tonearm for Technics SP-15

I have a Technics SP-15 turntable with a Grace 707 arm and a Grace F9E cartridge with a Soundsmith new stylus.  This combination sounds great but is limiting.  The 707  tonearm has a fixed headshell and it does not allow me to easily swap other MM  high compliance catridges or match compliance requirments MC cartridges.  Suggestions welcome from those more expert than I.  

arneama22

ralph,

my friend has a unit in a plinth with a dust-cover. it looks like OEM Technics to me, I could check. Grace arm is in a circular removable board, also looks OEM, with a long oval cutout for various lengths.

removable arm board looks like this

(seller says fits 9 or 12 sme arms

the platter has a wide rim, so I am not sure how short an arm will fit. chakster said 10.5" or 12".

so it’s not too short or not too long and the fastening from below has to work with the structure of the plinth.

I therefore don’t know if the 7045 is too short, and I was hoping someone knew, if the 7082’s 282mm (11-1/8") spindle to pivot, and the diameter of the arms base plate are long enough/small enough to not hit the rectangular platter housing.

next to last lousy photo here shows the underside, we would need to verify what my friend has

thanks, Elliott

Plinth is Technics SH-15B3.

Plinth manual says arm lengths: spindle to arm pivot (sap): 206 to 235 (sap = effective length minus overhang)

rear portion of arm: for 206 sap is max 110mm; for 235 sap is max 97

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sh-15b3.shtml

• is designed without its own plinth, like the SP-10.

this is not correct, for the SP10 you need at least a 10.5 "arm any other arm below that size would be too short and at rest it would remain bent towards the platter.

my friend has a unit in a plinth with a dust-cover. it looks like OEM Technics to me, I could check. Grace arm is in a circular removable board, also looks OEM, with a long oval cutout for various lengths.

removable arm board looks like this

(seller says fits 9 or 12 sme arms

That one looks like an SME cutout. Several arms use that mounting- it allows the arm to be moved to get the right geometry.

Yes, I have an SME 3009, sliding plate, but no VTA on the FLY.

I found a GST-1 just listed in New Zealand, sliding plate with VTA on the Fly, and magnetic anti-skate

I'm pretty sure it will fit his SP15 Plinth, would need to confirm the rear length and height.

seems to be a good price