Tonearm for Technics 1200GR

I’m looking for a medium mass arm to replace the stock arm. Whatever arm is suggested it should have an armboard that can be bought for it as well. I run a Soundsmith Carmen MkII. 

Id like to keep the new arm under $1500. 

I found a Jelco TK 850s, but it appears to be a high mass arm. I also found a Timestep T-609, but it appears to be a high mass arm as well. 
last_lemming
I am just curious why you feel the need to replace the stock tonearm, insofar as the ones you are considering are not obviously superior to the original. Also, you say you must have an armboard available for purchase. Lots of luck with finding a ready-made product to suit.

If you choose a tonearm with a similar pivot to spindle distance to the OEM tonearm, and if the diameter of the vertical shaft that must mate with the armboard is in the same ballpark and can fit through the existing hole, then you may not need an armboard. But these requirements will dramatically limit your choices, if you feel you must go ahead with the replacement process. Instead, you can buy a slab of brass or aluminum (two materials I recommend for the job), have it cut to size by a machinist (just remove the OEM armboard and measure it, to determine the needed length and width and where screw holes need to go, etc.), and then have it drilled exactly where you want to locate the pivot with a hole that is exactly the proper size (by the same machinist) to suit your new tonearm. That way you can have nearly whatever you want in the way of a new tonearm, so long as the P2S fits the available distance. "On-line Metals" is one company that sells what you need; they'll even cut it to your required size. Colby Lamb, in Oregon, is an audiophile/machinist who would probably be happy to do the work for you. The onus is on you to make the needed measurements. I’ve done this sort of thing at least 3-4 times, painlessly.
With all due respect to Sleepwalker, he does not seem to get the fact that the new line of SL1200 turntables (the G, GR, and GAE) are miles ahead of the original SL1200 series in terms of isolation and footing.  This I think is why he recommends the footers.  On the other hand, one might say that any turntable can benefit from thoughtful attention to isolation.  But in my opinion, your GR "needs" it much less than Sleepwalker's much older SL1200 (or SL1700, which is what I think he uses).  Sorry, sw.
Ive been reading from various sites that the arm is one of the weaker links of the 1200gr.

here is one such site:

https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/is-it-worth-upgrading-the-new-technics-sl-1200gr-turntable/

They also make armboards for SME and Jelco arms, and even blank plates.

Are you serious when you say the stock arm is just as good as these “upgraded” arms?

thats fine by me since I want to upgrade to a Soundsmith Zephyr. I just thought upgrading the arm wouuld benefits all future carts and isn’t a wearable item.
Jeez.That’s amazing. A website that is run by a commercial entity that makes arm boards for the SL 1200 G series and sells SME and Jelco tonearms, advises that either of these arms is a good upgrade replacement for the stock tonearm. Isn’t it possible that they have some bias?

In my opinion, to upgrade the tonearm in a significant way, you would have to go to something like the Triplanar. Apparently several SL 1200 G users who post on this forum have done that. But I think it is at best a sideways move to change your tone arm for a Jelco 750. There are even better Jelco’s that you could use. As always, this is only my opinion. But I have examined the stock tonearm very closely, and it seems to be extremely well-designed  and executed. I do not own an SL 1200 of any kind.
Actually, Reed would be nice, this is the most versatile tonearm for the most critical setup, but it's expensive.

The benefit of the Reed is that you don't need a hole in the armboard, except for the 3 short mouting screws from the top. 

https://www.reed.lt/tonearm/