To use a preamp with my Line Magnetic 805 integrated amp, or not?

Hi Everyone,

So I have a Line Magnetic 805 integrated amp that has been fantastic. Adds that warmth that I now know that I was missing out on and now really enjoy in my setup. The 805 is an incredible integrated, especially with some tube rolling. I have found that I prefer its sound signature to many more costly amps in the market. As with the audio hobby though, I wonder if adding a preamp and using the 805 as a power amp would enhance the sound of my system even more?

What are your thoughts? If yes, what preamp would you suggest? Would a good match be solid state or another tube preamp?
freesole

Showing 2 responses by rcprince

I would try before I made any change.  You're adding additional circuitry and connections (generally not advisable) to what seems to be a pretty decent preamp in the LM, plus you will have the added expense of (and angst in choosing the right) interconnects for the combination.  You might have trouble keeping the synergy already built into the LM. 
If the pre-in input does not bypass the LM's preamp circuitry, I doubt any external preamp will improve the sound through that input.  Does the LM have a tape input?  That bypasses the line circuitry in a number of preamps I'm aware of.  If it does, try that input.