To "tube" or not to "tube"

After a long musical drought (yup, divorced), I am now back in a position to upgrade. Have been wanting either the B&W N802 or Martin Logan Summits. So, for amps, what do you think, tubes, or SS for either?
thanks
jb
joeb
hi neil:

what fo you think will happen if i use lower gain 12ax7, namely 5751 ??

according to mcintosh, changing tubes will not change the sound of the amp very much. a dealer told me that the 6550 gives a more romantic sound than the kt88. in any case, i won't be getting the amp for about 10 days.
I don't believe the 12AX7 does gain multiplying, but you shouldn't take my word as I'm not a tube circuit maven ;--) Check with McIntosh technical support.

I know what everyone connected w/ McInt. says about tubes not making a difference. All I can figure is they're all listening to McIntosh speakers ;--)

As for 6550's, I had 8 Svet. Winged "C" (per side!) in my ARC monoblocks, and I wouldn't characterize them as "warm and romantic". More neutral and dry. Now maybe that was just the ARC amp, I don't know, but many audiophiles and lots of electric guitar players seem to favor the KT88's, which let's face it have only started to be re-issued in quantity relatively recently.
Nsgarch, You (and the rest of you guys) have been a big help, given me lots to think about, I like the idea of 275Mcs mono blocs for either speaker set ups, so will be on the lookout. the next question of course, is pre-amps... And to Beheme, couldn't have said it better myself.
jb