To preamp or not to preamp. That is the question.

I have recently set up a second system from some previously owned components which I though I would use for occasional listening as I have a better rig in a dedicated music room. Yet I find I'm listening to it more than expected and want to optimize it.

I use only a single source, a Bluesound Node 2i, feeding directly into a Forte 4a Class A power amp and some Totem Model one signatures speakers. No preamp! Controlling the volume with the BlueOS app, the system plays loud enough for my listening needs but I know the output of the Node is on the low side for the power amp. I'm not looking to upgrade the current speakers, amp or streamer. Other than having more gain, would adding an active preamp bring anything to the table other than more expense and additional "stuff" in the audio chain. What has been the experience of other members been who have gone this route?

128x128alvinnir2

Even in my early days of separates I always spent more to get the best preamp I could .  It is the heart of a great system, absolutely without question.    Anyone that strongly disagrees most likely has never had a class leading or world class preamp in their system or has never had first hand experience with a reference quality preamp.   I have , and I sold it to fund my endgame preamp.   

OK, you are looking for more gain for a secondary system with a 1K budget and willing to buy used. This is doable and I believe will prove beneficial.

Now on to the search.

A separate preamplifier is needed for sure.  Like another user already said, it is the heart of a system.

Adding a decent active preamp that has a circuitry amplifying line level voltage over the unit gain and a good volume attenuator will likely give better, more refined sound quality over a simpler path chain. Even my Dac -> Cambridge integrated amplifier -> speakers chain sounds sweeter than the Dac -> Parasound power amp (w/ unit gain control) -> speakers chain.