To much wattage for B & W 805s ??

After hearing the new 805S I'm thinking of purchasing. My problem is that I just bought a Madrigal Proceed HPA-2 (250wpc that doubles to 500wpc).. 0.1% THD) The B&W brochure advises using no more than a 120wpc amp. I rarely, if ever go near 11 o'clock on my volume setting. I have not yet sold my BPA-2 (125wpc) but would of course prefer to use the bigger amp. With all the dynamics in classical music would I have to worry about damaging the speakers. Would it be recommended I use the smaller amp and stay within B&W's guidelines. I would really appreciate your advice. Thank you! (and I apologize if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find it in another thread.)
classical1

Showing 2 responses by artizen65

Classical1

I agree with Rushton. The most important thing to remember is that it needs to be clean power. Distortion is more damaging than any of the dynamics in the music will be. I will reiderate that caution with your volume knob should still should be used.

I have found like other B&W owners the more power the better.

Good luck.

Michael
Jeffjarvis,

Ok I will be a little more specific. The B&W Floor standers are power hungry. The Monitors usually do fine with tubes.

Michael