To Mod Denon DVD-5900 or not?

Hi,

It looks like there are a bunch of people here who have modded Denon DVD-2900, 3910, and 5910. I hardly see anyone who have modded their Denon DVD-5900 from all these available mod shops. Why is this? I currently have a stock Denon DVD-5900 and was wondering if it is worth modding? Would like real owners/past owners to respond and share their expereinces good or bad about their modded Denon 5900 player and what they compared it to. Mods can cost from $1500 - $3000 plus, so this can get pricey and is it worth it?

Would I be better off selling my Denon (recoup some money back), and buying a (stock/un-modified) used Ayre C-5xe, Cary SACD 306, Classe CDP 202, Esoteric SA-60, or Marantz SA-1, SA11, SA-7, etc? Which way will I get more bang for my buck? Most interested in strong redbook CD playback and SACD as an added plus.

Thanks in advance.
cuttingedge168c60f

Showing 2 responses by vman71

I modify/upgrade speaker crossover networks with better parts and was amazed at the sonic improvement. I took this approach when I modified/upgraded my EAD CD-1000 mkIII. I replaced 28 critical caps with much better Rubycon caps, 4 power supply diodes with soft recovery Stealth diodes, replaced all internal wiring with teflon coated silver wiring, and the Auricap tweak right after the IEC inlet.

These are very basic mods/upgrades, I did not alter the circuit design at all, I just put in better quality parts. The results were again amazing. More musical, more air and space around voices and instruments, quieter blacker background, wider soundstage, better imaging, and details within the music were even more noticable. Everything became that much better, highs, mids, and lows.

If you have a decent CDP, it's going to respond well with better parts and is worth it because the source is so important.
John,

I would put a slightly different spin on the value/attractiveness of modded gear. I would say that once a person understands the tremendous amount of sonic improvement that modifications offer, especially to gear that is not the "latest and greatest" or was not the "top of the line" offering when that model was being sold, then the modified gear will become more attractive and hold more value.

The fact that I know how good modified gear can perform/sound, I try to exclusively buy only modified/customized gear. The value/attractiveness to me goes way up when I know it's not stock.

Your points are well taken though.

Mike