To Mod Denon DVD-5900 or not?

Hi,

It looks like there are a bunch of people here who have modded Denon DVD-2900, 3910, and 5910. I hardly see anyone who have modded their Denon DVD-5900 from all these available mod shops. Why is this? I currently have a stock Denon DVD-5900 and was wondering if it is worth modding? Would like real owners/past owners to respond and share their expereinces good or bad about their modded Denon 5900 player and what they compared it to. Mods can cost from $1500 - $3000 plus, so this can get pricey and is it worth it?

Would I be better off selling my Denon (recoup some money back), and buying a (stock/un-modified) used Ayre C-5xe, Cary SACD 306, Classe CDP 202, Esoteric SA-60, or Marantz SA-1, SA11, SA-7, etc? Which way will I get more bang for my buck? Most interested in strong redbook CD playback and SACD as an added plus.

Thanks in advance.
cuttingedge168c60f

Showing 2 responses by cuttingedge168c60f

John(Jmcgrogan2),

Can you email me, or what's your email address? I would like to ask you some stuff offline.

Thanks,
Dan
Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate the honest feedback so I can make a better decision.

John(Jmcgrogan2),
Sounds like the safer way would be to look for already used modified players or higherend stock players. My question is, if you go with the higherend stock units, where do I start? What level retail should I be looking at to compete favorably with modded Denons? Would for an example, a used modded Denon 3910/5900/5910 compete with stock units costing in the retail $5k-$7K, or would I have to look higher or lower to get an equal increase in performance? You know what I mean? Where do I draw the line to start? I am assuming that the modded Denons would beat the stock players ranging from $3k - $5k, or am I wrong to assume that? This is where it gets confusing and too many choices, if i can weed out most and isolate a shorter list of possible candidates, that would help. To clarify, if I spent (hypothetically) $2,500 on a used stock unit that costs in the $5k -$7k msrp, would that same $2,500 amount spent on a used modded Denon give me better performance? Or would that stock player be on the same level if not better than the used modded Denon? Or do I have to look at used stock units costing more in msrp say from $7k-10k to have an equivalent level of performance as the used modded Denon?