To leave on or not to leave on, that is the ?

Dear members,

I tend to leave on, all the time, my CDP/transport and dac (Wadia 23 and Audiomeca Enkianthus). An audio engineer friend has just adviced me that he believes it shortens the life of the gear (I had heard this before about DAT recorders and do keep mine off until it is used). He thinks warming it up before critical listening is good but not to keep them on constantly.

I do turn all equipment off when the fear of thunderstorms or ice storms is present but generally all my equipment, including the SDS controller for my VPI, stays on always.

I am really screwing up something? Advice, as always, is greatly appreciated.
vvrinc

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

"Vvrinc":

I think that your friend is a LITTLE off base with this one. In order for your equipment to sound good all the time (whether you listen critically or not), it is imperitive that you leave your equipment on at least most of the time. This is definitely important if you have high quality solid-state equipment. However, if you have tubes on the other hand, then this can become pretty impractical (let alone expensive). So with that said then, I don't think you're screwing up anything by choosing whether or not you leave your equipment on after a night of listening (critically or not)

As common practice, I always do the following:

(01). Leave the amplifier on all the time (well most of the time anyway), whether I am listening to music or not.

(02). Leave the preamplifier on as well. Mines has a "stand by" switch on the front panel. I also have a "main" power button on the back of it. I only use that when I am not going to be using the system for a long period of time (like when I am going on vacation, or any other time when I am going to be away from home for more than two days).

BUT

(03). I turn off all source components when I am through listening for the evening. And that applies to the tuner, the CD player(s) and the cassette deck. Turntables need not apply. They will be turned off anyway when I am not spinning vinyl.

But now, when I know (or think I know) in advance that we're going to have a thunderstorm that evening, or if I happen to be home when a thunderstorm moves in, then (AND ONLY THEN) I turn off ALL equipment (including the amplifiers) and unplug EVERYTHING from the wall.

I hope this helps out and clears up everything.

Good Luck and Happy Listening!!!!!!

--Charles--