to buy or not to buy acurus act3 200five combo?

Stumbled across this combo at a Klipsh dealer. Was wondering if anyone had a suggestion as to whether or not to buy this combo or not. Just recently sold a Chiro C-500 and pioneer elite sp99d combo. Will I be making an improvement with the Acurus or should I continue to look for abetter combo? The price on the acurus stuff is $2650 Canadian funds still brand new in the box. Speakers I use are a custom MTM design using Vifa drivers and LPG titanium dome tweeters. Will be using the system for both music and movies. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
fazman

Showing 1 response by sedona_sky_sound

I think this is more of a latteral move more than a major upgrade. The Acurus amps are reasonably good but tend to run a little bright. The ACT3 was problem-prone from the very beginning (I owned one of the first batch :-(. In January, I had my ACT3 upgraded to the Stage-One chips. It gave me more functionality but was a marginal step in the wrong direction in relation to performance (bass became a little more bloated).

That being said, I am sure you will find many people who love their units. I also thought it was great until I started comparing it with other stuff on the market (15 years ago I also thought Bose was good, but please don't remind me of that :-o ). Lots more choices now than there were when the ACT3 first became available.

Julian