Tip: Excellent Jazz CD's

Category: Music

If you like solid mainstream jazz (mostly standards), check out the 2 CD's (The Bellingham Sessions, Vol. 1 & 2) by the Chuck Israels Quartet, released on the "Audio Ideas" label. This label is the private label of the Audio Ideas Guide magazine (a Canadian publication). For those of you who don't know Chuck Israels, he was the bassist who played Bill Evans group following Scott LaFaro's untimely death. Israels is now a professor of music at Western Washington University. The CD's by the Israels group are among the best recorded I have ever heard, and the music is excellent. You can get more info and order the CD's at the following Web site: www.audioideas.on.ca
sdcampbell
Trcnet, if you really enjoy Brad Mehldau, check out his work with Joshua Redman. These are two of the most exciting "new" artist out there.
Thanks Shelton, I do have 3 of Joshua Redman's cd's. I know Brad is on Mood Swing but I'm not aware of him being on any of the others. Redman's live cd is pretty good at times. There are a lot of great jazz piano players out there and we also lost a few before their time. I was fortunate enough to see Kenny Kirkland and Don Gorlnick many times in NYC back in the 80's and early 90's before they past away. Among other favorite piano players are Herbie Hancock, Joey Calderazzo, Keith Jarret, and John Taylor to name a few. I was wondering if anybody has heard Peter Erskine's new live cd entitiled " Live at Rocco's"? I hope this thread keeps going with lots of great suggestions of great "live" jazz. One that I have that I forgot to mention is Jim Hall "Panorama". Sonically it is just great but in IMHO some of the playing is not on par with the others mentioned but it has its moments. Take care, Tom
Brad Mehldau also appears on Joshua Redman's "Timeless Tales". Here is a "live" trio set that you may enjoy, Dmitri Matheny's "Starlight Cafe". Dmitri does a nice job on Flugelhorn. It's soft, but not syrupy.
Hi Shelton, Thanks for the tip, I'll look for it the next time I'm at the cd store. What's the instrumentation on Matheny's disc and how would you rate it for sonics. Thanks, Tom