Tinnitus - do you have ringing in the ears?

I just read that an Audiogon member is selling a pair of speakers because of Tinnitus - ringing in the ears.

I have Tinnitus in both ears, one worse than the other, but I have learned to live with it.

Do you suffer from Tinnitus? Do you know of a treatment that has had successful results?

Thanks
joeldoss

Showing 1 response by woodlawn412

I've had tinnitus since 1998. The first ear doctor I went to suggested it was from taking Neurontin. His sister-in-law had gotten it that way, he said, and when she took it, it went away. I stopped taking it, gradually, but the ringing -- usually more a hissing, actually -- never went away.

As far as music goes, I'm more aware of the hissing when I listen to female vocals, particularly when I listen digitally. It's as if the high-pitched hissing sound fights the sound of treble audio for my brain's attention.

I find I like listening to records much more than CDs, but that was true pre-tinnitus.

Most times I don't notice it. When I eat foods with a lot of sugar and flour, the volume of the hissing goes way up, and can become more of a ringing (higher pitch than the hissing). I try not to eat too much of those foods, and I gave up drinking coffee. I think that helped. I don't notice the noise as constantly. I also notice the hissing/ringing more when I take aspirin or NSAIDs.

And listening to records instead of CDs seems to help me notice the hissing less.

Long story short: no sugar, no flour, no caffeine, no NSAIDs; yes vinyl.