Time to pull the trigger on BluRay?

I am woefully ignorant about where we are with bluray. Is it time to buy? If so what are the SOTA players? I assume these players will play DVD and perhaps some other formats. I vaguely remember hearing that there are some features/quality issues still being worked out. Please educate the ignorant.
Thanks.
bflowers

Showing 1 response by aolmrd1241

"12-07-08: Ghostrider45
says,

Chadnliz said "HDMI is HDMI". Not exactly. There are important differences between different versions of HDMI (1.1, 1.2, 1.3a). In particular only 1.3a handles the latest discrete 7.1 channel audio formats, and Deep Color ( not really in use yet, but just wait...)."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In order for deep color to be of any use to the consumer the deep color specification not only has to be implemented on the disc,but also on the equipment side. ie; the cameras in use as well as the film and lets not forget the actual play back gear that would have to be purchased and, an agreed spec, with the powers that be. For this to come together would be one mighty expensive endeavor(changing alot of perfectly good equipment) with all of the media concerns.
Bottom line,don't hold your breath for high bit deep color any time soon,if ever...

[Also about hdmi and audio from Kurt at Blue Jean Cables]

"Just to clarify a point or two:

1.3 does not signify greater bandwidth than 1.2. 1.3 Category 2 does (although, in any particular case, it's entirely possible that the 1.2 cable has just as much bandwidth as the Cat2 1.3); 1.3 Category 1 is tested to exactly the same bandwidth as 1.2.

The choice of audio format does not affect the data rate at all. Accordingly, while cable bandwidth might be relevant when you're dealing with differing resolutions, color depths, and frame rates, it is entirely irrelevant when dealing with the various different supported audio formats. What'll determine which audio formats will work will be the equipment at either end of the cable, not the cable itself."
Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable