Time to move UP, speaker-wise...

My vandersteen 2ci’s dropped dead after a couple decades of sweet service. Over the past year, I’ve had mixed success with a pair of reference premier Klipsch speakers, but now I’m wanting something a far more subtle, perhaps a touch more sweet, and definitely able to reveal more sound-field information. Perhaps I’m being redundant... I’ve been intrigued by the open baffle concept and I’ve read some reviews on Spatial Audio products as well as Tekton’s open baffle offering. There are fans of the spatial, and then I discovered there are people that are blown away by the Tekton open baffle design. Tekton is also running a special on the Electron SE @$3000, which I feel inclined to try... Another area of interest is the Ohm speaker lineup... can any of you speak to them, and particularly how they compare to Klipsch Heritage speakers, or open baffle designs, or Tekton's...?

I have to say, I’m die-hard for the musical information, for the layers of musical fabric. Wolf_garcia claims the heresy III is the best $1500 he ever spent, in a discussion addressing open-baffle designs, among others, and so I’m wondering where to put my bills... What should I check out? It’s time to move up. I’m thinking $3300 is about my limit... I’m running 80 watts per channel from the nuforce sta200, a schitt saga pre, Cambridge transport.
listening99

Showing 7 responses by tomic601

Nice donation!!!!

really why not call Richard and see what’s changed in your old model 2

he might just tell you about a very special violin that belongs to a model 7 owner, the 2 shares many design objectives 

sounds like you are enjoying the journey !!!

@frazeur1 makes a good point, a call to Vandersteen for a service quote might be in order.
yes, the latest Model 2 signature from Vandersteen will  throw a wide and deep soundstage, imaging is ALL about low diffraction, time and phase. Richard continues to invest in the model 2 and it still makes best value lists for a true audiophile speaker. A relatively easy load, you can drive them with a good quality amp. I have heard them vs the new Forte with a Rogue magnum integrated, The Forte are the better 2 D rockers and the Vandersteen are more 3D musical to my ear and taste, but yes...taste does matter and vary, which may explain the dealer waffle...Remember, I am not just a Vandy fanboy, I own 8 pairs of speakers, alas none of them are Tekton...

enjoy your search and the music. best to you

Jim 
the Nuforce and more expensive Job amp are great, we have a Job in the studio and the mobile recording rack, neutral and good.
OP - IF you want new from dealer you have two Vandersteen options in your price range, the VLR paired with a discontinued model 2 sub. You could also get into the fabulous VLR signature for $3k and get the carbon tweeter derived from the 7. Add a small REL sub and away you go with the soundstage, immediacy and seem less fatigue free sound Vandersteen is famous for. Or the model 2 has been refined and reworked nearly continuously since it’s launch - you should listen to latest variant it throws a massive sound stage and w acoustic coupler plays low. I own Apogee, Klipsh, Quad, Thiel and two pairs of Vandersteen’s currently- I never have anything bad to say about choices. 
Where are you located ?

Vandy since 1977 and still going strong!
enjoy your quest and the music!!!!