TIME'S CELEBRATION: ORTOFON FIRST CENTURY ANNIVERSARY ! ! ! ! !

Dear friends: This is a true time's celebration for all audiophiles over the world: 100th ORTOFON ANNIVERSARY.

ORTOFON needs no presentation but stop the press and stop/delay your next cartridge buy:

https://www.ortofon.com/mc-century-p-863?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HiFi%20NL%20May%202018&am...

https://www.ortofon.com/concorde-century-p-862?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HiFi%20NL%20May%202...

Btw, @mikelavigne as always your comments are welcomed.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
Ag insider logo xs@2xrauliruegas
Dear @tomwh : So where is your contribution to the audiophile in this forum?

In a forum like this posts are opinions and I think that every single opinion from any gentleman here must gives his opinion  always adding the " facts "  that could confirm or not  that opinion.

I can see/read that till this time you share nothing that could help to each one of us. Why don't do it?

R.
Dear @amg56: """  Halfway? Are the top end cartridges 4x the performance of the low end performers? """

quality levels does not jump in the same quantity. When we have say a cartridge that performs at 90% quality level against the very best that performs at 99%.
Pass from 95% to 99% is extremely difficult task for the manufacturer that needs not only knowledge and skills but a lot of tests and time consuming that when the cartridge new model comes out in the market the MK2 version price is to high that we can think as you: that maybe is not justified because only 4% better.

No, it's not 4x performance of the low end models. It can't be but what is for sure is that the top ones are better and for you can attest it you have to own a system that can tell you the differences for the better.

R.
I still would have thought that being such an important milestone and being in production for 100 years, the cartridge releases are for the rich and famous, nothing for the common man who still has to pay big coin for a halfway product.

Halfway? Are the top end cartridges 4x the performance of the low end performers? Considering the Cadenza Bronze (at AUD$30000) is a 1/4 the price of the century releases, do they perform 4x better?

Again, the poor guy gets ripped off. (AUD$3000) for a average cart?

Each his flavor of the week but honestly, Ortofon is mainly known for DJ and cheap designed SPU cartridges.
They simply discovered that they can make much more money with a "High End" Product, so they launched A-90.
An awful, dead cartridge which was pushed from a few deaf audiophiles in USA, in the home country Germany it was nearly unsellable. Very limited in playing time, guess 1000h and it was down. Interestingly no one from its pushers wrote about that. The next audiophile cry was the one which was named for this female violin player, Anna. Next sonic shot into the knee.
And now another milestone, no sorry, the sonic game changer mk 25.5
The next sonic blockbuster of ’the famous blue stone of Galveston’ :-)
Great
@syntax  just to be correct: she's an opera singer, not a violin player :) Anna Netrebko studied and performed in my home town St.Petersburg. Ortofon Anna dedicated to her for some reason. 

I did talk to my local HiFi sales-pusher (he tries to grab my every dollar!) and he suggested the Rega Apheta 2 or up a bit to Aphelion 2. He said he gave away selling Ortofon due to the way THEY want HIM to sell them. He just walked away. Fair enough.

I am a complete novice on cartridges. I can only take peoples advice and read reviews (which are sometimes enlightening). My current understanding is that MC cartridges are very much influenced by the tonearm, pre-amp and so on. It's a steep learning curve.

As a lad in the 1960s the cartridge was welded to the phonograph and you watched it weave side to side as it followed the record groove. It's a whole new world an I am finding out, quickly!