TIME'S CELEBRATION: ORTOFON FIRST CENTURY ANNIVERSARY ! ! ! ! !

Dear friends: This is a true time's celebration for all audiophiles over the world: 100th ORTOFON ANNIVERSARY.

ORTOFON needs no presentation but stop the press and stop/delay your next cartridge buy:

https://www.ortofon.com/mc-century-p-863?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HiFi%20NL%20May%202018&am...

https://www.ortofon.com/concorde-century-p-862?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HiFi%20NL%20May%202...

Btw, @mikelavigne as always your comments are welcomed.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
Ag insider logo xs@2xrauliruegas

@pbnaudio Peter, I appreciate your opinion and comments. My moniker are actually my initials and birthdate rather than the desirable but way out of my league Mercedes Benz vehicles.

I was referring to the very high end offerings of Ortofon (Exclusives) that are of the 100year celebration exclusive offering. It would be nice to see some specials for say the Cadenza series Bronze $3000) which is some serious dollars (for me anyway).

A 2MRed is indeed FROM $169 dollars in Australia, and would sound like a cheap cart too. That is why I see so many on the 2nd hand market. A base level 2M Black and Quintet Bronze are both $1000.

Ortofon Australia do not list the Century Concord at all. We must live in totally different markets.

The name Concorde assotiated with cheap and awful sounding DJ moving magnet cartridges made for decades. It has nothing to do with the original Concorde from the late 70s as it was a LOMC Concorde MC200 which they never tried to repead. At least for 30 years all Concorde MM were made for pro market, and till today they are made for pro market. Overprices Concorde cartridges are inferior even compared to the cheapest Grado MI. Concorde made for professional needs of disc-jockeys since the late 80s till today (Concorde Pro, Concorde DJ, Concorde Night Club, Concorde Skratch, Concorde Gold ... just to name a few very popular classic models). For the last 10-15 years all Concorde models were redesigned, but only visually. Instead of the good looking classics like the Concorde Pro (Silver) or Night Club, the Ortofon designers released a bunch of funny looking carts recently that only demonstrate a very bad taste (in my opinion).

No one even remember how a good Concorde MC200 (with micro coil) sounded, the reputation was buried for audiophiles and the market was floaded with those bad souding Concordes and similar OEM carts like Tonar Banana etc.

But the DJ models of various Concorde are the best sellers for the company, mainly because of the usability, no need to set up the cartridge, just plug and play (on Technics SL1200mkII and related). The only problem is that Concordes are killing the records and designed to be used with high tracking force up to 5g! The cheapest Grado DJ100i is killing Concorde it terms of sound, the Grado are much cheaper, superior in every aspect, but they are not popular on the pro market and user must have some knowledge how to set up the cartridge.

Well, this is the story of Concorde since the late 80s till today, audiophiles probably knows nothing about it.

Now they are decided to make 400-500 Euro Concorde Anniversary MM in some awful mirror finishing, but the name Concorde is primary associated with mediorce sound, low compliance for decades!

There are plenty of great MM/MI cartridges at this price from different manufacturers (Grado, Garrott, Nagaoka etc). This item is for collectors, for those who loves limited edition models. They are not gonna make a serial number of Concorde Anniversary.

I don’t know what we have to celebrate here...
release of $14 LOMC cartridge with solid diamond cantilever, maybe?

Technics offered SP-10R turntable for the same price. 

Dear @tomwh :  """  , I want it to sound like real music. When is the last time you went to a concert, club, etc a... """

Well a good walkman can do it, just a joke. Nothing can sound as real music but live music.
Btw, I attend at least one day each week to listen live music that's my main reference.

Almost each one of us have different home audio room/system targets mine is to stay nearer to the recording and my room/systems was and is developed around that target.
That target means too that as nearer to the recording we are as nearer to that " real music " you said.

To stay nearer to the recording there are forbiden audio items that in no order could be: tubes, SUTs, unipivots, cooper wires and so on.

To stay nearer to the recording we have to fine tune, test after test and understand each link at the room/system chain. Understand what the cartridge signal needs what is asking for that delicated signal that is pick-up for the cartridge stylus tip as vibrations/movements and then converted on electrical " sound ".
Preserve the integrity of that cartridge signal is my main goal trying to mantain at minimum everykind of noise/distortions generated at each single system link till the signal arrives to my beloved ears/brain.

To achieve that kind of purity in the cartridge signal we have to take care and to have deep knowledge levels and skills in several critical audiophile subjects including to own a self bullet proof method/proccess for tests and evaluations of that audio room/system.

So you need all that stuff knowledge that for you is only BS but obviously due that your target is different from mine you care about other priorities. Your privilege.

Again , as nearer to the recording as nearer to the MUSIC.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
Raul I have played in marching, concert, stage bands and orchestras.  I play jazz at home.  I also build all my own turntables, arms, power supplies and amps, phono stages etc...  My phono stage weighs in at over 150 lbs. Over kill probably!!!

A point to point debate with you would end up being fruitless.  Anyone who is in the know and can hear and feel music knows your so called understanding of distortion has little meaning in the end of the game of real music.

Enjoy the ride
Tom
well said, Tom

he always getting it to extreme, now even against all copper wires, which is funny as the best cable designers like Chris Sommovigo still using a copper conductor: https://blackcatcable.com/products/redlevel-triode-rca but it depends how did they used them. Same about silver or copper/silver like this one for example: https://blackcatcable.com/products/indigo-rca-interconnect