Tidal WiFi not as good as cd

Hi all,

Trying out tidal hifi and noticed that the same music airplayed to my dac is not as good as my CD ripped to the computer and airplayed to the same dac. Almost sounds like a lossy file. Am I doing something wrong or is this what is to be expected because of streaming. Not exactly sure what Roon is but heard it should make tidal streams better. If so, would it still be worse than ripped CDs?  

jaferd
My good friend, who also design's analog and digital products uses Tidal via hard-wired directly to his Innuos ZENith music-server from his internet-modem as well as via his house A/C line.  Doesn't use it via WiFi.  The music-server is connected via USB to his DAC.  We have loaded exact copies of CD's into the music-server, then listened and compared to the exact same CD via streaming from Tidal, and there is a subtle, but noticeable difference. The loaded CD sounds a smidge quieter, possesses more micro-detail, and just sounds more-real than either from the direct internet connection, or the direct connection via the A/C wiring.  I have also experienced the same results with my set-up too, and I use QoBuz.  The quality between direct connection from the internet-modem is also slightly better than the A/C internet connection to the music-server, although less noticeable than listening from the loaded CD.  This is all in CD-quality format.  I have not tried this comparison with Hi-Res music down-loaded to the music-server versus streaming, however I believe it would have similar results.  One other thing...  In comparison to my dedicated PC with all solid-state memory running the latest JRiver software, the Innuos ZENith music-server beats the PC hands-down !  
@liquidsound, interesting. How does the Innuos beat the pc sound?  My tidal via laptop sounds less detailed and less transparent with a boosted low end and harsher high end. Almost sounds like tidal had loudness turned on. Qobuz 16/44 seems a tad better but not much although the 24/96 sounds much better. It's different than my CDs but not sure which is more accurate. This is all thru my laptop via Chromecast or airplay, which I don't discern any significant difference.  I think the weakest link is probably streaming via a laptop and not Wi-Fi thru airplay or Chromecast but these streamers are so expensive!  I'm ok w hi-res on qobuz but I wish it had the top track and similar artist features that tidal has to make exploring new music easier. 
If any of you have extra time on your hands I suggest you read though some of this thread. Search for the posts by "romaz" he is very well informed.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/#comments

The sound quality of tidal streamed over the internet will sound different from person to person based on your internet front end. There aren't any audiophile modems, however as this thread suggests, using a linear power supply on your modem will improve the sound quality of streamed content. The thread I linked suggests using a series of switches with quality ethernet clocks and cables to a renderer to improve the performance of streamed content.

I haven't tried any of this myself but its high on my list of future upgrades. I've gone down the research rabbit hole between TCXO vs OCXO clocks - these things get expensive. A popular manufacturer for some of this stuff is SoTM if anyone is interested.
Post removed 
I recently installed a Bridge II in my PS Audio DSD DAC and signed up for Tidal. To my astonishment, music wirelessly streamed from Tidal (HiFi) to the Bridge II sounded BETTER than the same music streamed to my Bryston BDP-1 with a portable HD with the music connected.then on to same DAC. Go figure!
Neal