THX vs. DTS

Hi.

I would like to get opinions on experienced ears who have had THX and DTS systems. I am thinking of getting a new receiver, perhaps a Denon and considering upgrading to THX. The problem is of course, it cost a heck lot more.

Does THX really make THAT much of a difference (2-4X the money!). I don't see many DVDs with THX around, is DTS enough for the next 5-7 years? I like DTS already.

Thanks.
fiberzap4037

Showing 1 response by lej1447

Personally, THX certified AVR have come down in price substantially. For example, consumers can buy over the Internet a Yamaha RX-V1400, THX certified w/ MSRP $799, for roughly $600. Such unit does video up conversion for ease of use; decodes THX format, Dolby ProLogic IIx, DTS; offers 2-channel stereo, 7-channel stereo, direct bypass; and, functions as pre-amp. Of course, there are non-THX units w/ MSRP of $199, which offers DTS w/ basic S-video switcher and no pre-amp output w/ about 45wpc. On the other hand, there are high-end units costing few grands, which offers lots of bell and whistles, decodes all formats, and still have lots of juice left w/o restraining power. It's true that THX decodes more bass. I could detect the subtle difference when switching back and forth between THX and DTS on AVR, and the movies used for testing were Finding Nemo and Monster Inc. (both THX format). It depends on your budget. If you want to spend $200 for DTS only, go for it. If you want to save the headache and possibly heartache, spend 3X more to get RX-V1400. If you want warmer sound, get a multi-channel amp or THX amp. If you want to your neighbor to knock down your door, get Ultra-THX amp. If you want the entire neighborhood to know your door down, get dual SVS subs.