Thumbs up for ultrasonic record cleaning

My Cleaner Vinyl ultrasonic record cleaner arrived today and it’s impressive.

Everything I’d read indicated that ultrasonic was the way to go, and now I count myself among the believers. Everything is better - records are quieter, less ticks and pops, more detail etc.

All my records had been previously cleaned with a vacuum record cleaner and were well cared for. Nonetheless, the difference is obvious and overwhelmingly positive.

Phil
phil0618
@slaw 

Good idea about the RO systems. Think that's absolutely right. I like to finish with distilled water.

Chemistry - I like to use 40:1, measured with lab glassware. But a measuring cup would work fine, if you are careful.

Glad to see that it's working for you. All the best.

@terry9 ,

Why finish with distilled if it’s not as pure as RO or the like?

I was just posting my initial findings, I think it may work???...not sure yet.
@terry9 ,

After re-reading my last post, I realize it was unnecessary.

I had asked you earlier if you could ascribe the positive benefit of your cleaning methods (filtering/rinsing/fluids) over what I was doing. You said around 50%. I was skeptical. I am no longer. Just using the Versa-Clean in my current water and better rinsing was a revelation. I've cleaned several lps from new to very rough record show finds. The improvement is easy to hear across the board.

About one year ago, I went through my Janis Joplin lps to compare different pressings. I have the MFSL 45rpm "Cheap Thrills". At that time I was very disappointed in it. So much so, I put it in my to sell pile. I re-cleaned it this morning and WOW!, it is a completely different sounding record. Actually, it is of reference quality. I'm not kidding.

Thank you for your posts!

@slaw 

Thanks for posting your experiences. Glad it's working for you! I am sure that it will help others to achieve better results.

As for your RO question, I think it is a good one. I used distilled because it has very low concentrations of dissolved minerals, which could conceivably deposit on the record while drying. Dissolved minerals can be measured by conductivity, which is very low for distilled. Specs for RO are harder to come by, and depend on system maintenance, etc.
@terry9,

How does distilled water compare to de-ionized water in this realm?

I’ve read on various threads about a measuring device for mold an so on...I ask because if there's an inexpensive device that might be able to help us determine with more accuracy, a water change in out US cleaners?...  Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thank you.