Threshold SA/4E or Pass X-250??

Any one had a chance to spend time with these two amps? What opinions have you formed? I will be driving either Harbeth SHL5s or Harbeth 40.1s with either of them. I am mainly wondering what sonic differences i might hear? Thanks for any help.
tom_hankins

Showing 5 responses by tom_hankins

Thanks for the info. I might hold out and try and get one of the 250.5s. The Threshold I have heard and it is something special. But it is very old, and runs very hot.
I'm going to bring the Threshold home for an audition. I'll post my opinions compared to the Manley Snappers i have here now.
Dividebytube,
Any idea on a ballpark number the cost of replacing power supply caps?
Thanks Unsound. I called and he gets in around 8:30 my time tonight so i will call him back. Also called and talked to Threshold about the cost of a basic rebuild and re-bias of the amp. I Hope the SA/4e does as well with my Harbeths as it did with the Thiels when I heard it.
As nice as the amp was with the Thiels, didnt work out to great with the Harbeths. I will keep listening until I sell it, in case I change my mind. But will probably try either the Pass or one of the McCormack amps after I recover my $$$