Threshold S/500 versus Mark Levinson ML2

Has anyone heard these on electrostatic panels in comparison? We currently have an S/500 I modified by Jon Soderberg running a pair of Innersound Eros and am wondering if a move to the ML2's might be a lateral move as opposed to an upgrade. Thanks kindly for your input.
somut

Showing 1 response by minorl

The ML2 is a wonderful amp. but I agree that the power rating may not suffice for your system. electrostatics are notoriously hard to drive and you need more power in my opinion. The Thresholds are also wonderful amps. Between the two, with those speakers, I would go with the Threshold. but, don't forget, there are Mark Levinson No. 23.5's, 20's, 20.5 and 20.6's out there that would have no problem at all driving your speakers and are incredible. There are amplifier manufacturers out there that are very good at what they do. Threshold, Mark Levinson (older models, I'm still not convinced about the newer ML stuff yet), and Atmosphere, Audio Research, Bedini (yes, Bedini), and many, many others are absolutely great. You need to make sure that the amps are clean and have the power and dynamics necessary to drive your speakers.