Threshold S/500 Power Amp or ???

Is there anyone still using this power amp now? What versiona and what are your thoughts regarding the S/500 driving Magnapans or Eminent Tech 8 speakers? I ask because I do love the sound or my S/300 especially where depth, width and height is concerned. It also does a wonderful job of playing jazz and vocal music. Int particular choral music sound devine from this amp.

If you are still or have used the Threshold S/500 to drive planar speakers chime in please. You have the experience I am looking for. My dear friend introduced me to the use of the S/300 and Classe DR-5 and I am having a great time listening ot this combination play music. The Threshold sound has captured my imagination. My Classe pre amp and Threshold power amp work very well together. However, I agree with my friend that a tube pre amp might serve me better as I look to upgrade my sound and I will continue to buy used equipment to save money.

By the way, my listening room will be 15 feet wide by 22 feet long with a 9 foot ceiling. The room is in the basement of the house with concrete floors. Finally, I don't want to have to change 8 or 10 KT88's or 6550's so I will stick with a solid state power amp and prefer the Thresholds because of their great "tube like" sound. At least that's what I hear with the S/300 and would think the S/500 would not be any different. Your opinions please.

Music Man Bob
rbwinterlink

Showing 2 responses by scansp7

dividebytube, 

Can you tell me more about your experience with the Magnepans and the threshold combination?

What is the difference between the S/500 optical bias and the S/500 Series II?  Did the Series II omit the optical bias?  I've also noticed a few with balanced inputs??
I believe the input borads had to be changed when upgrading an optical bias unit to quasi "e" series.  Any sonic improvement when upgrading the optical bias to "e"?