threshold amp

I recently got a threshold stasis 3 amp.i might have made a mistake, does any one know if this amp is worth upgradeing being it will cost around 1000.00 bux.its a very clean piece but I paid 900.00 for it.should I sell it and buy a better model threshold for about 1500.00.my problem is if I upgradeit I don't know how far up the threshold chain I will have gone. anybody have any idea where the upgades would take it to? thanks glasspak
glasspak

Showing 3 responses by zd542

"04-11-15: Glasspak
modest stuff.threshold stasis 3 /Conrad Johnson premiere 17 pre / meadowlark osprey speakers/ah njoe tjoeb cd tube player with upsampler"

It looks like a fairly well thought out system. "Modest" components, that are properly matched, will almost always outperform expensive components that are not. The only thing I see that may pose a problem, is how well your balanced amp works with your single ended preamp. And I'm not saying there's a definite problem. Its just something to be aware of.

Something else you may want to consider, is to just use the amp as is. You say it does sound good. When you find an amp that you like better, upgrade to that instead. Also, if you leave the amp stock, you should be able to get more money for it when you go to sell. The only exception would be if you had Pass do the mods, instead of going after market.
"Not true, any Threshold amp refurbished by Jon Soderberg will be worth more, however not nearly as much as the cost to refurbish. Just to make sure you know, Jon worked for Nelson Pass at Threshold as service manager. If you asked Pass, it wouldn't surprise me that he might refer you to Jon Soderberg."

You may be right. Generally speaking, modded components usually take a hit on how much they can be sold for. If this is an exception, maybe its worth doing.

"Agree, having the work done will improve the sound, but how much might be that $64,000 question. Keep in mind that any old amp will need to be serviced for reliability, and if there were any old amp I'd spend money on for service, it would be a Threshold."

Its been a long time since I heard the Threshold amps we're talking about here. I believe the Aleph's were the amps he made next, after the Threshold's. Those are pretty good even going by today's standards. They may be old, but it took a while for most of the other brands to catch up. If you can turn a Threshold into an Aleph (In terms of SQ), the mods may be a good investment.
"04-13-15: Unsound
FWIW, I prefer the Thresholds and later Pass amps to the Alephs. YMMV."

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that you prefer the Aleph's, or is it the other way around?