Thoughts on the Linn LP12 turntable

I don’t see many discussions that include the Linn Sondek LP12 turntable and was wondering why? They’ve been around since the late 70’s and other then power supply and a few other minor changes (IMO) are relatively unchanged. I had one in the early 80’s and another in the late 90’s. They are somewhat finicky to get setup correct and once you do, they sound great. That being said I know there have been a lot better designs to come out since the LP12’s hey-day. Are they worth considering  anymore or has the LP12 just become another audio vintage collectors item?

markcooperstein

It seems some detractors may want to dribble LP12s, in fact.  (I’m on the sidelines in this discussion. Never owned one.)

@mijostyn The statement that you apparently have taken apart LP12’s, but last owned one in the 70’s..says even more about the drivel you post in regards to this turntable. My feelings are in no way hurt, but perhaps you are dribbling??---:0)

I am plenty happy with my LP12- next yer will be my 25th year owning it. Anyone who says the LP12 easily drifts out of adjustment has not had experience with an LP12 in at least 30 years. Frankly, one of the more remarkable improvements over the years to the LP12 was relatively recently- the Karousel bearing. And as it costs less than what many spend on a cartridge, yeah, it’s a great addition to the LP12.

No one is saying keeping an LP12 in current form is cheap. It’s not. But a great deal of high end audio gear isn’t cheap either.

What I don’t understand is why so many get butt hurt by the fact that a number of us really like our LP12’s. Shall we argue about ice cream flavors next?

@daveyf , all you have left are insults? Common davey boy, how about that cheap stamped sheet metal sub chassis sitting atop three springs tuned to the wrong frequency and the crappy Masonite arm board flapping around in the breeze, the two piece platter that rings like a bell. The tiny little dink of a motor that I can stall with a Q tip. Then there is that pathetic sort of wood base stapled together at the corners. Walmart wouldn't sell a turntable like that. If you think that is representative of a high end turntable in this day and age you are in the wrong forum. You might look into basket weaving. And for your information I built a cherry base for one thirteen years ago.

You can insult me all you want but that will not change the fact that the LP 12 is archaic and interesting only from a historic perspective. It's days have long passed. It was all but done in 1980 with the release of the original SOTA Sapphire. Over the next decade a pile of them were dumped into the used market where they could be picked up for pennies on the dollar by people like you who want to turn them into some kind of panacea. They are just an old turntable that the vast majority of serious audiophiles wouldn't go near.