Thoughts on replacing an ageing pair of B&W N804s

I tried bumping an old question from 2 yrs back but think better to start a new thread.

I've been using the N804 for over 12 years with an Accuphase E-407 integrated amp (Class A/B, 180W/ch @ 8 ohm). I feel its lacks detail, bass and doesn't feel very immersive/involving.

Recently I demo-ed the Franco Serblin Accordo and it's a fantastic (monitor?) speaker but too pricy for my budget & needs a subwoofer to fill in the bass. I also tried the 803D, 804D, SF Cremona-M, & Dali (forgot the model). The rest of them didn't really do much for me.

FInally on a different floor and different setup (and sadly different music track too) I demo-ed the 805Di. Whilst not as good as the Accordo (lacked separation and soundstage by comparison), I felt the 805Di actually performed quite well, more so than its 803D/804D bigger brothers.

So here comes the question. I -think- the 805Di extended deeper and tighter in bass, had more detail, and felt more immersive than my N804. However not being able to compare side-by-side, I don't know if it's setup, or if the 805Di speakers themselves truly big improvement over my ageing N804s.

In Tokyo there's no "1-week" demo concept nor returns. Once you've bought, it's yours and will have to sell at a loss. I do not intend to change my Accuphase E-407 integrated amp.

Is there truly a big improvement between the N804 to 805Di or was it just placebo in my mind?
anakchan

Showing 1 response by seehack

I too had the 804s for like 8 years and thought highly of the Nautilus series. I then decided to change for the fun of it. I got an used pair of Revel GEMS with its stands and a Revel B15 subwoofer like 3 years ago. With the same set-up, the sound was much more detail, dynamic and tighter bass when compare side by side. I did audition the 805 Signature Tiger Eyes but not the Diamonds before buying the GEMS. The used GEMS were much better for the $. You could try to audition the GEMS2 against 805D if GEMS are too old for you.