thoughts on MBL amps: 8011 vs 9007's

I have a pair of MBL 111e's being powered by the smaller 8011 monoblock amps; all I could afford at that time. I like my MBL's; but was wondering if my amps are enough to bring out all the music from the 111es. I know people are polorized on the MBL brand; but I'd like some opinions on whether there would be enough improvement in musicality and base response; and flow of the music by moving up in the amplifer line to justify the huge increase in price. Or would a different brand of a high current, solid state amp do the trick for me for less money. I also know some folks here are running MBL 101e's with Lamm tube amps; but I'm not sure i'm ready to switch from ss to tubes; and the hastle factor..thoughts on reasonable upgrade path would be appreciated...economy is making the upgrade bug more of a luxury; but the bug is tickling..thanks for helpful replys.
Setup: MBL 111'es main; Meridian 861 processor; aerial cc5 center; Parasound A-51 multi amp, velodyne dd15 sub; Meridian G-98 source; and Qsonix music server; with MIT Maxum M=2 cables. Large; open room; high cathedral ceilings; wood floors;
mribob

Showing 1 response by ericngo1

first, glad you found the sonic taste to your liking with Venture line, but I'm sadden that you drop the ball on MBL 111e. I don't think you have set it to it potentual. To me, there is no cone driver can do what MBL can. The musics just flows effortless and the sound, sound alive & real. Isn't that we all looking for in a system?

Secondly, I do agreed with others recommendation, upgrade pre, amps, cablings and MOST IMPORTANT, room treatment. Your room is 50% important and the other 50% is your system. The treatment define your bass and help the mid & high more clearer. It make the whole presentation more detail and transparent. Its like getting your window wash & clean. I didn't believe it at first, but it make a believer of me. Another thing, I would stick to one company with my gears and that will take the system match out of the equation.

Now, I'm no Bill Gate son (Btw, he has not just one but two MBL 101 Extreme Reference systems, LUCK DOG! correct me if I'm wrong) I have my share of saving & more saving & lusting for MBL gears & more, more, more saving for a loooooong time to get where I'm today with all MBL gears, thanks to Audiogon. I know they are expensive but I don't regret it at all. To me, the MBL is the EXOTIC line of audio gears and as Lamborgini in Automobile. Anyway, I just want to share my thoughts & opinions with you. LIVE HAPPY & GOOD LISTENING!